Talk

Advanced search

3 lots of painters coming to give quotes.... help me not to sound like a twit please!

(14 Posts)
SaltyGoodness Tue 11-Mar-14 17:24:47

I am not fussy - 2 br London flat and I want a colour like Elephants Breath (but not F&B prices please?) in most rooms plus white trim on skirting boards etc. I have a fair idea of what it should cost thanks to friends in similar circs. But should I be asking....

Who supplies the paint?
What's the typical sort to get for walls - what is emulsion/eggshell?confused
What do you call the hardwearing gloss typically used on skirting boards, doors, windows?
Is it usual to say you want all doors and windows painted too?

The whole place was done in Magnolia probably about 5 years ago so I'm hoping the type of paint used won't be incompatible with what's used now. Something about VOC's and oil based vs water based... oh christ. I can't do this <thumps head on desk>

Faaaaaark confused

strongandlong Tue 11-Mar-14 19:42:25

Ha ha. It really isn't too difficult.

Most interiors Walls are painted in emulsion. If you're after a F&B look it'll be matt. You can get this anywhere. You can agree with the decorator who supplies it.

Interior woodwork is usually gloss or satinwood. Sometimes eggshell - there's a recent thread on here about the pros and cons of each. I prefer satinwood, personally.

Perfectly normal to get woodwork and walls done at the same time, but not compulsory if the woodwork doesn't need doing.

It's fine not to know about paint. Ask the decorator you choose to either advise you or supply the paint themselves.

Optimist1 Tue 11-Mar-14 19:53:12

It's important that you're comparing like with like, so make sure that you're asking each of them to quote for the same amount of work. Like an idiot, I didn't ask the man who painted several rooms for me recently whether he would be removing light switches and electric sockets to ensure a neat finish (which is what I do when tackling decorating jobs myself) - he didn't, and it drives me mad to see the little overlapping bits when I'm doing some close-up cleaning!

Also relevant would be a) how soon can they start? and b) how long do they estimate the job will take?

SaltyGoodness Wed 12-Mar-14 07:59:33

Brilliant grin

Thank you both for such clear advice, really helpful. First man coming shortly to quote, and I feel much more confident now.

SaltyGoodness Wed 12-Mar-14 08:02:26

Had nightmares that I would just wave my hand vaguely at the flat saying 'just paint it' and they would laugh at me confused

Beanymonster Wed 12-Mar-14 08:08:20

No help for your decorating what so ever, but I did 'lol' at 'just paint it!' Sorry!! but I would be in exactly the same situation!!!!

snowgirl1 Wed 12-Mar-14 10:00:41

You might want to tell them to remove door handles too, rather than paint round them. I assumed they would to this (as I've done it) and was really irritated, like Optimist, when they didn't - especially as we were just about to change handles and they were a slightly different shape. Had to get the decorators to do it again.

HawkeyeInChaos Wed 12-Mar-14 11:16:25

Many decorators will be able to supply a trade emulsion colour-matched to your posh paint. It is worth asking as this can save money.

amazinglondon Wed 12-Mar-14 15:09:12

I have victorian sash windows and my decorator 'over painted' on all windows and refused to remove it (exterior), gave me all sorts of excuses.

Also ask about payment terms. Mine started asking for cash at several stages through the job. A detailed quote is a must. Ask how many coats will go on and how he will deal with any imperfections/cracks etc. Getting the start date in writing is also a must. I am living and learning.

Coconutfeet Wed 12-Mar-14 21:55:14

Check whether they will be removing radiators to decorate behind and find out whether they will be putting them back as well.

bigbadbarry Thu 13-Mar-14 10:14:35

I've just had elephants breath knocked up in a trade vinyl (so it is washable). Looks fab smile I think if you find a decorator you feel comfortable with you can ask whatever stupid questions you like: if they laugh at you they are not the one for you.

SaltyGoodness Sat 15-Mar-14 11:04:40

Now I've had the 3 quotes, I think I'm going to go with my gut instinct which was actually the most expensive quote (still under budget)

The other two were cheap but one of them annoyed the crap out of me just in the half hour he was with me.

The other one was ridiculously cheap. I don't believe he could possibly do a good job for that little, or get it done by himself in the time he says.

Does this sound sensible?

SaltyGoodness Sat 15-Mar-14 11:06:49

bigbadbarry - oooh can you please tell me any useful details? Is it Dulux trade or another? This is what I'll be going with... I like F&B colours but would never get F&B at the moment, need hard-wearing washable surfaces while DC is small smile

bigbadbarry Wed 19-Mar-14 10:58:52

Sorry, I missed this, Have answered your PM x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now