Talk

Advanced search

Laundry room

(25 Posts)
HelgatheHairy Tue 11-Mar-14 14:50:47

Our tumble drier is already in the garage and we're going to move the washing machine so we can fit a dishwasher in the kitchen.

So any tips on what else I should do with the space. Planning on getting a work top across the tops of the appliances for extra space.

MyNameIsKenAdams Tue 11-Mar-14 14:53:19

Sink for soaking.
Set of shelves and a rail with coat hangers on.
Iron and board.
Tv.
Wine fridge.
Armchair.

I digress.....Ive always wanted a Futility Room.

AndIFeedEmGunpowder Tue 11-Mar-14 14:53:38

envy I have always wanted a laundry room. Definite yes to worktop. I would hang an old fashioned wooden maiden on a pulley above the work top to dry non tumble stuff when it's rainy outside. Butler sink too if you have funds.

AndIFeedEmGunpowder Tue 11-Mar-14 14:54:48

Just seen Ken's post. Fuck the butler sink! Just get the wine fridge and arm chair grin

HelgatheHairy Tue 11-Mar-14 16:00:40

I'm LOVING the idea of a wine fridge and armchair!!

No plumbing for sink unfortunately. I'm having a great time on Pinterest pinning laundry rooms.

Rooners Tue 11-Mar-14 16:05:28

Can you put in some nice, wipeable flooring before you do all this? Getting anything off concrete is awful.

HelgatheHairy Tue 11-Mar-14 16:11:49

rooners the floor will be wood effect tiles. We have them in our bathroom and had a box left over.

Rooners Tue 11-Mar-14 16:14:32

Cool smile

GemmaTeller Tue 11-Mar-14 16:17:06

Definately pinterest for laundry rooms.....sigh...

Our previous house was an ex council house with a downstairs toilet next to the back door, we never really used this toilet, so, we had it taken out, took the door off and had the washing machine plumbed in there instead.
I put a worktop over the washing machine, fitted a single wall cupboard and one shelf......when we came to sell it the estate agent exclaimed 'oooh, a utility room!!..... it was literally only the size of the washing machine grin

Agree with the armchair and the wine fridge, you could have an hour to yourself 'doing the laundry'.

What appliances are you having in there if the washing machine and drier are in the garage confused

I have the utility room you want AndIFeed

HelgatheHairy Tue 11-Mar-14 16:19:14

Love the paint because I wouldn't do it in the house! The pink/white one

www.decorpad.com/search/vertical-striped-walls

HelgatheHairy Tue 11-Mar-14 16:22:23

exit the garage is the laundry room. Sorry if I'm confusing people! It's not actually a garage. It used to be but we knocked half of it so once I get DH to move all his stuff to the shed it's mine all mine!

AndIFeedEmGunpowder Tue 11-Mar-14 16:42:37

Exit envy envy envy

Pootles2010 Tue 11-Mar-14 16:47:34

Can you get a laundry chute? Pretty easy to make apparently, but obviously depends on where the laundry room will be.

MummytoMog Tue 11-Mar-14 16:59:16

Utility/laundry was second priority when building our extension (first being a downstairs loo). I get all dribbly when talking about it, but it involves a ceiling pulley and clothes rail and giant sink with washboard and cupboard for hoover/brooms and many many other things. And a downstairs loo.

Coveredinweetabix Tue 11-Mar-14 18:21:15

If you're having plumbing put in for the washing machine, why can't you have a sink too? We were like you & already had the tumble dryer in the garage & were going to put the washing machine out there when we got the kitchen done and, at the last minute, I asked the builder to rescue to sink unit and the old worktop and now have a run with washing machine, sink unit & tumble dryer. I am so glad that I have a sink out there. It is where I soak clothes (two pre-schoolers), do hand washing & various other things. I have a black washing up bowl for dirty tasks like soaking peed on clothes and a white one for clean tasks like hand washing my bras. It is so convenient having the run of worktop across the top too. Above this run of units we have some cheap shelves from Wickes on which I keep all the DIY stuff, BBQ bits & I can't remember what else. We also have an upright freezer out there (BEKO so it doesn't matter that the garage isn't heated) and then a billy bookcase with various odds & ends like spare wine glasses (realised we didn't need 16 in the kitchen cupboard for just me & DP).
I do wish we'd put some lino or something down on the concrete floor but I didn't think of that.
I would have loved to have one of those pulley dryer things but, as the garage is unheated, there wasn't much point.

HappyAsEyeAm Tue 11-Mar-14 20:52:33

The sink is a must, plus a draining board.

What about a big, full height cupboard for your ironing board, vacuum cleaner, clothes horse, mop and bucket and all that kind of stuff? And if you can, either within the cupboard or separately, shelves for your ironing basket, soaking bowls, iron, washing powders and whatnot?

I love my utility room. Really love it. Its not pretty, but its ever so practical.

HelgatheHairy Tue 11-Mar-14 21:04:53

covered I didn't think of needing plumbing for the washing machine blush

HappyAsEyeAm Tue 11-Mar-14 21:13:12

I am cracked up, OP!

herethereandeverywhere Tue 11-Mar-14 21:16:48

Sink is a must as others have said. I have a tap like this which is really useful for filling buckets and cleaning poo off kids clothes.

Extra laundry hanging space too, like the clothes airers hanging from the ceiling or retractable wall-mounted washing lines.

I also have:

* wall mounted ironing board with iron hung on wall above so if I need to iron quickly because I only iron on a need to wear basis I don't have to faff getting things out and plugging them in etc.

* Plenty of cupboard space for detergents and chemicals which frees up space in the kitchen and bathrooms and means I can buy in bulk

* Space to hang/store brooms/mops/buckets/feather dusters etc etc which clears out other cupboard space.

I love my utility and it's only tiny!

Mandy21 Tue 11-Mar-14 21:29:35

No need for a sink (but then I don't do any hand washing!).

Washing machine, dryer, molly maid hanging from ceiling, shelving for paint / diy bits. Then I have a length of worktop (with 6 baskets - one for each family member plus one for tea towels etc, clean washing is sorted straight from dryer / molly maid into the relevant person's basket) and shelving (for towels and bedlinen). A big square laundry basket for dirty washing and another one for ironing.

DelightedIAm Tue 11-Mar-14 21:37:07

Where do you source these hanging dryer/molly maids from?

Google is your friend.

Mmmnotsure Tue 11-Mar-14 21:55:27

Delighted We have one of these
http://www.gnu-racks.co.uk/shop.sfxp
and they are fab. They take a lot of weight, though, so if you fit one yourself it has to be into a joist or whatever to give it the strength needed not that I didn't realise that of course blush

minipie Tue 11-Mar-14 23:40:14

I have nothing useful to add but wanted to say that "Fuck the butler sink" is the most brilliantly Mumsnettish line I've read for a while grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now