Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Feel like a mug due to letting agents anyone else had this problem

(9 Posts)
Mitsi10 Tue 11-Mar-14 14:47:19

Moved in at the beginning of jan so the letting agents knew of the repairs to be done most of it had been fixed but still waiting on a few things and after contacting them still no word on these repairs
Feel like all they care about is the rent coming in every month have contacted CAB and been advised to try contact them again if nothing I've to contact private rented housing panel has anyone else experienced problems with landlords/letting agents

Plus i don't have a carbon monoxide detector in the house but they have said it's not essential to have one fitted I thought all property's need one

LadyMaryLikesCake Tue 11-Mar-14 14:52:50

I spent 9 years in a house where the kitchen cupboard door was hanging off (I ended up taking it off myself as it was dangerous), the kitchen window didn't close properly (they 'tried' to fix it once by tightening a screw, which did naff all), no smoke alarms (I bought my own which I left when I moved out), no carbon monoxide detector (I bought my own) no curtain rail in the living room and a load of crap in the garden. The boiler was knackered but rather then replace it they would rather send in their plumber/heating bloke to repair it twice a year.

The fuckers kept my deposit (I moved in before the deposit protection scheme was introduced) because I didn't throw their garden rubbish away for them hmm

Mitsi10 Tue 11-Mar-14 15:07:14

I've been told the boiler in this place has been replaced but they never bothered about upgrading the heaters prob why it feels cold
Before I moved in there was rubbish left out back bathroom was a mess still trying to get if clean the last tenant took off with the washing machine and fridge freezer toilet seat and lid were off completely shower screen was broken (seen this when I viewed the house but was told landlord knew) cupboards in kitchen needed fixed plus mirrored wardrobe door hanging off (still waiting for this to be fixed after 2 month of waiting) now shed is falling to bits so can't enjoy back garden

This my first rental property and so far I hate it trying to make the most of it really while I'm waiting for something else

LadyMaryLikesCake Tue 11-Mar-14 15:15:10

Hmm. Are they radiators? You could try bleeding them? If there's air in them it stops them working properly.

I think some of them just get sick of bad tenants and think 'why should I bother?'. Some are just out for every penny they can get. I'm renting a house from a friend at the moment and it hasn't been looked after at all by previous tenants. It was filthy when I moved in, the fridge was left to go mouldy and the wooden floors are scratched sad

specialsubject Tue 11-Mar-14 15:56:47

your contract is with a landlord, yes? Does the landlord know about this? You are entitled to landlord contact details so demand them. Some agents just flick hair all day and don't contact landlords.

no, CO detectors are not mandatory. Although they are good practice. Not sure if smoke alarms are either. My rented property has both. Neither are expensive so you could buy your own, but I think your landlord should provide.

what IS mandatory are: gas safety certs, renewed every year and deposit protection. Do you have an inventory? Does it list the missing items?

quick check just in case; do your radiators need bleeding if the boiler is working but the place feels cold?

Mitsi10 Tue 11-Mar-14 22:14:12

Letting agents are working on behalf of the landlord so I've no idea if he knows about this stuff

As for fire alarms I have one so thinking of getting a few more plus a carbon monoxide detector

Did have a inventory when I moved in all the repairs they were aware of plus paint peeling here and there were on it I had to check things and put on it stuff that I wasn't happy with so I mentioned the lack of white goods

Radiators gave been bled did make a little change but not much some days are better than others

specialsubject Wed 12-Mar-14 10:01:29

please demand landlord details and contact him/her. Landlord is paying for this 'service' and needs to know what is, or rather isn't going on.

then get in touch. If there is still reluctance to do anything then you can take further action.

LIZS Wed 12-Mar-14 10:07:38

If a gas safe engineer has issued an annual certificate (of which you legally need confirmation) they will have recommended a CO detector but it isn't mandatory iirc. You should also have been notified of the landlord's address so I would send a signed for letter to LA reminding them of the agreement regarding repairs etc and a copy to LL. Is the shed on the inventory or was it out up by previous tenant and left ?

Mitsi10 Wed 12-Mar-14 13:12:53

Think the shed is part of the house all the house in this area I'm in have sheds in the back

I'm thinking of writing to the landlord as I'm starting to think the letting agents are not doing the job properly

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now