Talk

Advanced search

Help! Advice needed about dome roof lights.

(7 Posts)
SweetApril Tue 11-Mar-14 14:43:39

Hi. We are having a new GRP roof fitted and would like to install two dome roof lights at the same time. I'm thinking something like this. The roofer is happy to install them but we have to source them and there seem to be loads of online companies so I don't really know where to start. Not sure whether to get double or triple glazed, opening or non-opening. They are for a largeish kitchen extension and we really only need them for extra light at one end of the kitchen as there is a fairly large window and a door at the other end. Has anyone got any tips or recommendations? TIA.

SweetApril Tue 11-Mar-14 18:42:24

Bumping for evening dome light experts!

SweetApril Thu 13-Mar-14 16:54:41

I know it's a very boring subject but I'm bumping again just in case. Thanks!

ChocolateHelps Thu 13-Mar-14 17:00:48

We're having a lantern roof instead of done lights, that's the only research I've done! Am also having GRP roof. Have had GRP roof on our loft former for past 7 yrs and all fine so far!

ChocolateHelps Thu 13-Mar-14 17:01:04

Done, not done

minipie Thu 13-Mar-14 17:22:14

I'd take a look at ones made by Velux or Fenstro as they are both good quality manufacturers.

Re opening or not: If you can get away with non opening without risking greenhouse effect (i.e. if you have other windows to open to let out heat/smoke/steam) then that is better, because a fully sealed one will be more leak proof long run. However if that area of the kitchen has no other openings then I'd go for an opening one, especially if it's where you cook and/or if it gets very hot.

No idea about double vs tripe glazing.

I remember viewing a house where the dome skylight had burned brown, it looked awful, so you want to make sure that can't happen to yours... I have a feeling that one was plastic though...

SweetApril Fri 14-Mar-14 09:32:19

Thanks!

Chocolatehelps Glad to hear some good news about a GRP roof. It seems to be the best solution for our roof but occasionally people tell us that we're making a mistake because it's really ugly. Our house is quite modern so I think it'll be fine.

Minipie I'll take a look at Fenstro, not heard of them before. We are going to go for non-opening as they don't really need to open and I think you're right about long-term possibility of leaks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now