Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Recommendations for CCTV, preferably cheap and easy

(7 Posts)
PeacesOfAte Tue 11-Mar-14 11:11:59

I'm having some issues with my neighbours, and have a couple of times caught them in my garden. A few things have gone missing, that I can't prove they have taken but suspect might be them.

After coming back a bit early from the school run today and finding her coming out of the gate to my drive, I have decided discreet CCTV to catch them in the act might be a good idea.

I am completely skint, so can't spend much. It's a little detached rural house with a big garden, so I'd probably need a camera on each side at least.

Does anyone have any experience or good products they could share?

rovercat Tue 11-Mar-14 12:26:38

Some years ago I bought a camera from Lloyds the Chemists, (not sure if you have them in your area). It cost £9.99 and plugged in either straight to the tv or through a video so you could record as well. Was only a black and white picture but it did have sound on it and was about the size of a large matchbox so could be hidden away. Took no setting up at all and was brilliant for what we wanted. I would imagine that something similar is still available now on the net or maybe you could print some signs saying 'These premises are monitored by CCTV ' and display them where she can see them and hope that puts her off.

Chopsypie Tue 11-Mar-14 12:33:20

Aldi have some Cameras in later this week. Not sure of price/quality though

smaths Tue 11-Mar-14 16:23:01

We have 3 of these that we use to keep tabs on lambing sheep and cattle in sheds outside. If you connect them with network cables (they can also be used via wifi but apprently that is a bit more fiddly) they are very simple to set up and operate and you can set up motion sensing and recording easily. They can even be set up to send you a text message or email if the motion sensor is triggered! If you have decent broadband and a smartphone with a data package you can even use a mobile phone app to view the camera when out and about (eg motion sensor sends you a message, check on your phone to see what's happening). That's a bit harder to set up if you're not especially computer savvy. They are fab value for forty quid re

smaths Tue 11-Mar-14 16:25:29

Ps if you buy it you'll also need to buy a us/europe to uk plug adapter as it comes with a foreign 2 pin plug

PeacesOfAte Tue 11-Mar-14 17:18:49

These look interesting, thanks Smaths. I wonder if the Aldi ones are just cameras, as they presumably need the server bit mentioned in the ones Smaths linked to, or some equivalent to get the info to somewhere you can watch it.

Is that company US based?

I don't want to put a sign up, I'd rather catch them at it I think.

smaths Tue 11-Mar-14 19:31:00

The company is china based - it will take a week to 10 days to arrive but it is otherwise a great shop and I've never had any problems with them. The camera is a foscam branded one and actually since ive just googled the model number i see a similar one on amazon for a tenner more, possibly worth it for quicker delivery and their excellent customer service.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now