Talk

Advanced search

How long between accepting an offer and survey taking place?

(5 Posts)
christinarossetti Mon 10-Mar-14 14:49:40

I've done this before, but I can't remember the time scales...

We accepted an offer on our house 2 weeks ago, sellers passed their solicitor's details to estate agent promptly, we instructed solicitor etc. Buyers aren't in a chain (are planning to rent out their current property and live in ours) and know that we're looking, and are happy to wait..

I e-mailed the estate agent last week asking if they had booked their survey yet, and haven't heard back. Although I know there's no hurry, if they're not serious buyers I'd rather know sooner than later as I want to be able to move quickly when we find something.

Should things be underway 2 weeks after an offer?

TIA

hyperspacebug Mon 10-Mar-14 14:59:26

I don't know if the buyer or estate agents who is being unresponsive. But you're right to ask where the buyers are at the moment. All sides should keep communicating.

2 weeks is doesn't sound too slow - the buyer has to book appointment with mortgage lender (with Virgin bank it was 2 weeks before we could get the appointment just to get mortgage agreed in principle!!! thankfully we ended up with different bank that gave us appointment within 2 days, but it was still a week before the survey was booked - we couldn't do anything about it except keep calling - we were as fast as possible)

Madmog Mon 10-Mar-14 15:15:03

At this stage, I wouldn't worry for a week or two if they haven't arranged a survey yet. In all fairness, you haven't found a property yet and they don't know whether things will be moving within a couple of weeks or a couple of months, so maybe don't want to commit to too much expense until they're sure things are on.

If you haven't heard at the end of the week, just touch base with the estate agents confirming you're actively looking and ask if they're getting a survey done soon or when you find a buyer. That way you know.

Pinkje Mon 10-Mar-14 15:30:28

Is it possible they are struggling to get finance if they haven't sold their own place? Or transferring their mortgage to a buy to let might be holding things up.

But 2 weeks isn't that long if they thought you were in no hurry.

christinarossetti Mon 10-Mar-14 16:12:06

Thanks - yes, you're right. We were informed that they're planning to re-arrange their current mortgage as a buy to let and then take out another one for their purchase, so yes that will take a bit of time.

It's the non-response from the estate agent that is making me nervous, but will try again at the end of the week.

Thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now