Talk

Advanced search

Pan drawers - are they worth getting?

(16 Posts)
TheRaniOfYawn Mon 10-Mar-14 14:12:59

I'm planning a new kitchen at the moment and am dithering between getting lots of pan drawers and just sticking with cupboards.

I am vaguely concerned that pan drawers are a bit gimmicky and that they are less sturdy than a cupboard and that I'll end up with a kitchen full of wonky broken drawers that nobody will bother to fix.

If you have them, are they better than cupboards? Why?

HappyAsEyeAm Mon 10-Mar-14 14:47:13

We had some in our old kitchen. The kitchen had already been updated before we moved in. I thought they were fantastic. It was a Magnet kitchen, not super expensive, but the quality was very good. It was so much easier to pull out the drawers and take a pan out than to bend over and search around in the back of the cupboard. The pan drawers (there were two of them) were under the oven.

I will definitely consider them when we renew our current kitchen.

My parents have them too, and they have been fantastic for them as my mum has a back problem.

Pannacotta Mon 10-Mar-14 14:54:33

Yes do get them they are much easier to use, just get decent quality fittings.

Chopchopbusybusy Mon 10-Mar-14 14:57:21

Yes love mine. It's worth buying the dividers too so that you can organise them well. I have 2 sets and wish I had a third instead of the corner unit I chose.

offblackeggshell Mon 10-Mar-14 15:01:40

They are the best thing ever. Loads more storage than a cupboard, and you can see everything - no rooting around at the back.

hyperspacebug Mon 10-Mar-14 15:03:53

Yes I absolutely love ours. No more poking head inside cupboards to find things at back again.

TheSurgeonsMate Mon 10-Mar-14 15:18:47

I've moved into a house with some, they are great. It is very obviously a high end spec of kitchen though, so I have no concerns about wobbliness.

LizardBreath Mon 10-Mar-14 15:21:36

I hate our pan cupboard with an absolute passion! Dream of a pan drawer- definitely get them.

TheRaniOfYawn Mon 10-Mar-14 15:50:20

Wow! I wasn't expecting that level of enthusiasm. Now I just need to convince DP that the extra cost is worth it.

TheWomanWithTheMysteriousLump Mon 10-Mar-14 15:53:48

Definitely. And unless you have a Le Creuset fixation they last just fine. My only problem is a family member who lacks the 3D spatial ability to stack them in a way that doesn't jam.

stoopstofolly Mon 10-Mar-14 15:54:58

Amazing. No more emptying a cupboard to get the one pan you need that's at the back.... I've just upgraded to TWO pan drawers- now got all my mixing bowls, chopping boards, jugs etc in the second!

MrsBennetsEldest Mon 10-Mar-14 15:55:39

Yes,yes to the pan drawers. Mine are supposed to be able to hold upto 16 stone in weight. That's one heck of a pan smile. I would advise against the electric ones though, you only have to brush against mine and out they shoot like Arkwrights Till. My whole kitchen is drawers and it's great, get as many as you can.

CointreauVersial Mon 10-Mar-14 18:17:10

grin at Arkwright's Till!

Another vote of approval - pan drawers are brilliant.

FloralPuddles Mon 10-Mar-14 18:52:56

Most of my kitchen is pan drawers bar one corner cupboard and under the sink, I love them and would never have it different now. I worried about tins etc in the drawers and not knowing what stuff was what without rooting through but you just get use to where things are! It all just works lol. I have built in cutlery / untensil drawers inside 2 of mine as well. I love drawers lol!

schmalex Mon 10-Mar-14 18:54:52

I have them in the place we're renting and it's the one thing I would take from this kitchen when I come to design my own.

Get them! They're fab.

bumbumsmummy Mon 10-Mar-14 18:57:23

Love mine I have two next to the cooker the look great and it's easy to see which pan you need

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now