Talk

Advanced search

sorting change of addresses before contract exchange?

(7 Posts)
Keenoonvino Mon 10-Mar-14 10:16:12

I am expecting contract exchange in the next couple of weeks. I have a list as long as my arm of notices to give (gym, nursery) and addresses to change. But something it holding me back as a little voice is telling me that I haven't exchanged yet and all could go wrong still.

what does everyone else do? I know it could be only 2 weeks or so between exchange and completion....

everlong Mon 10-Mar-14 11:24:28

We exchanged on a Friday and we notified on the Monday following. Like you I didn't see the point in doing it beforehand. Two weeks is plenty of time to sort things.

schmalex Mon 10-Mar-14 11:58:28

I wouldn't do it until after exchange. Things can get held up at the last minute and then you have to faff around untelling all the people you've told!

I also found that some places don't even want to hear from you until after you've actually moved.

I always get my post redirected after moving, so you don't have to change absolutely everything before completion.

eurochick Mon 10-Mar-14 12:00:40

My parents have lost their sale 3 times on the day of exchange so I definitely wouldn't do anything before then. Two weeks between exchange and completion is plenty of time for that. It's a good idea to get a postal redirection too in case the message doesn't get through to the right database or you forget some.

specialsubject Mon 10-Mar-14 12:19:12

hold fire. Have your post office form filled in and ready - they need a few days notice so 2 weeks is plenty. Set it for 3 months which is time to change everything - remember all letters to banks etc get you two in return, one to the old address and one to the new address, so you need a redirect.

the ones that HAVE to know for the date are house insurers, car insurers and the utility companies. Everything else can be done afterwards!

Mintyy Mon 10-Mar-14 12:21:28

Well, you're quite right, it could all be a spectacular waste of time if anything goes wrong (fingers crossed it doesn't of course!).

Keenoonvino Tue 11-Mar-14 09:32:50

Thanks everyone - some good advice here and I will go today to pick up my form from the post office!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now