Advanced search

Cloudy water in bathroom

(10 Posts)
Mitsi10 Mon 10-Mar-14 07:58:50

I've noticed this since I moved in to the house in jan when you will the sink it's cloudy looking and it's making me think if the bath and shower are the same
I'm sure the kitchen is fine it's just the bathroom I've noticed it what is it and what can be done ?

Mitsi10 Mon 10-Mar-14 08:02:32

#fill the sink

Optimist1 Mon 10-Mar-14 08:04:04

Do you have a cold water tank? If so, the cloudiness is just deposits from inside the tank. Water in the kitchen would come straight from the mains without sitting about in a tank, which is why some people make it a rule never to drink from any but the kitchen tap.

If you don't have a cold water tank I have absolutely no idea!

Mitsi10 Mon 10-Mar-14 08:07:32

How do I know if I have a cold water tank?

superlambanana Mon 10-Mar-14 08:21:07

If you fill a glass does it clear gradually? It can be just bubbles!

Optimist1 Mon 10-Mar-14 09:10:26

In a house the cold water tank would be in the attic - big metal box thingy probably covered with some sort of insulation material.

PigletJohn Mon 10-Mar-14 09:16:19

Is this cloudy water from the hot tap, and have you got a combi boiler (pressure gauge on the front of the boiler, and no hot water cylinder?)

And if you fill a large glass from the hot tap, does the water start cloudy and then go clear, starting from the bottom of the glass?

Giraffeski Mon 10-Mar-14 09:17:19

You can fit aerators to taps to save water so perhaps that's what's happened here? Does it clear if you let it settle for a while?

Mitsi10 Mon 10-Mar-14 10:56:59

Just done that and filled the glass with warm water it went cloudy like milk then settled after a minute and it's a combo boiler

PigletJohn Mon 10-Mar-14 11:41:09

then it is nothing to worry about. The cold, pressurised water from the mains contains dissolved air. When the water is heated, dissolved air tries to escape, and as soon as it emerges from the tap into normal pressure, the dissolved air comes out as tiny bubbles, which rise to the surface.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: