Talk

Advanced search

Is special bathroom paint necessary?

(14 Posts)
longingforsomesleep Sun 09-Mar-14 10:45:36

Am just about to paint my bathroom and have previously used paint intended for bathrooms. However, when I've used it before I've found it a bit thin and had to do several coats. There's also a fairly limited range of colours in bathroom paint.

I'm just wondering if I could use an ordinary thicker (one coat only) paint. I know I'll probably still have to do 2 coats as I'm going to be putting a lighter colour on.

We have a separate shower room which we all use and the bath in the bathroom probably gets used on average once a week. Having said that, there are still 5 of us using the bathroom and no doubt generating a fair amount of steam from the hot water tap at the sink.

Any advice from anyone?

Jellymum1 Sun 09-Mar-14 10:51:46

When we havent used bathroom/kitchen paint the water/condensation soaks into the walls iyswim? We found using a bathroom paint means the water/condensation rolls down the walls and we can wipe it or when we open the windows it dries out quicker and doesn't leave streaks or black mildewy marks.

stuckindamiddle Sun 09-Mar-14 11:50:04

yes

Wuxiapian Sun 09-Mar-14 11:51:06

Use special bathroom paint. It will be a false economy doing otherwise.

wonkylegs Sun 09-Mar-14 11:55:34

We've used regular emulsion with no problem but we do have a well ventilated bathroom, so no issues with condensation.

gamerchick Sun 09-Mar-14 11:56:46

i've always just used bog standard silk emulsion.. and water hasn't sunk into the walls.. how steamy does some bathrooms get? hmm

I have wallpaper in mine and it's been fine since it went up.

So no.. special paint I wouldn't bother with such a thing.

The only time I would use protective measures was if the room was prone to mold anyroad.

stuckindamiddle Sun 09-Mar-14 12:06:26

Bathroom paint isn't much more expensive. I'd use it first as last rather than risk having to repaint.

MillyMollyMama Sun 09-Mar-14 16:10:06

Never used special paint. Ventilate,ventilate ventilate then you can use what you want.

ShoeWhore Sun 09-Mar-14 19:39:55

Never used special bathroom paint. Never had any problems.

Madcats Sun 09-Mar-14 19:57:29

I bought my F&B paint from a good old-fashioned paint/decorators shop.

The blokes mixed some "mould stop" into my standard emulsion for me. I asked them if it would work and they said they recommended it quite often. It was 6 years ago...no mould.

I think it was probably this stuff: http://www.owatroldirect.co.uk/product/mould-stop/

Aethelfleda Sun 09-Mar-14 21:37:01

Bathroom paint is kind of plasticky when it dries. So I'd always use that cos it's wipeable/washable, and it really isn't much different in price to standard stuff. What sort of colour are you thinking of?

longingforsomesleep Sun 09-Mar-14 21:48:35

I'm not bothered about the price, just that I don't want to have to do 3 coats and have previously found bathroom paint a bit thin. I tried out a dulux tester and it seemed really thin. I was tempted by the thicker, once coats but I think I'll probably stick with the special stuff though given the comments above.

PigletJohn Sun 09-Mar-14 22:57:01

an effective bathroom extractor fan will do more good than all the money you can spend on fancy paint.

happylittlevegemites Mon 10-Mar-14 15:09:35

You can get bathroom paint mixed up it nearly any colour you like with Dulux trade.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now