Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

View from kitchen table / kitchen design query

(6 Posts)
Mercedes Fri 07-Mar-14 09:27:20

Hi

We've got a useless kitchen which is badly laid out and is small - 2.4 x 2.6.
We're planning a kitchen extension which adds another 3 x 4.5 under permitted development. This will so help in terms of workspace and cupboards.

The plan is to change the entrance to the kitchen so we can have a galley kitchen as you walk in which opens out into the wider extension with an exterior door opposite if you see what I mean. We were planning to make a breakfast nook with a window seat and table in the additional width. On the other side I thought floor to ceiling cupboards taking up the whole length of the wall. (The sink/wm/dw/hob/oven would be in galley).

Although it would be great to have so many cupboards I worry that its not the most attractive use of space. When you're at the table on one side there will be garden/patio but on the other its just bland.

Has anyone done anything like this or has some ideas about layouts? I am not very creative and worry that my idea for a wall of floor length cupboards is missing trick as I can't see beyond initial practicalness.

OnePlanOnHouzz Fri 07-Mar-14 16:53:58

Some layout ideas on here for you ! http://www.houzz.com/pro/oneplan/oneplan
There's lots you can do with a space that sort of size !

Mercedes Sat 08-Mar-14 18:09:41

Hi Oneplan

That's my fear that I'm not getting best use of space cos I am a bit too much on the practical side.

I had a look at the kitchens you linked to are they not really much bigger?

OnePlanOnHouzz Sat 08-Mar-14 22:36:13

every room is different - but if you really think about how you want the space to work for you - then it can be designed to suit your needs ! it's just a case if being logical and methodical in your approach !

MillyMollyMama Sun 09-Mar-14 00:38:34

I honestly would avoid a "nook". Sounds cramped and unattractive use of quite a large space. I would look at having a breakfast bar on the end of an Island unit. This means you can have storage in the island and somewhere to sit. Could the nook become part of the kitchen design instead of being separate?

Wormshuffler Sun 09-Mar-14 07:07:29

I am doing something very similar, although my nook will be made up on one side by the u of the kitchen if you see what I mean. I think nooks look ace, no messing about with pushing chairs in and out. We still have a separate dining room with the big table in, I can't imagine eating a big Sunday/Christmas dinner in our nook, I'm thinking more for breakfast and lunch when we don't all 5 eat together.
I'm hoping to get a carpenter in to do me a bespoke nook, but I'm assuming I will have to find a pedestal table and square ones are seeming very hard to come across!

Back to you op.... the people looking at the bland wall would be facing others around the table wouldn't they, if its not fill people will choose to look at whatever they prefer?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now