Talk

Advanced search

How do you use your cellar?

(6 Posts)
beaglesaresweet Thu 06-Mar-14 15:01:38

Never had one before but all the houses I'm viewing have them. All unlined, some feel more cold/damp than others. Is it worth lining it to use for dry storage? as they aer I wouldn't store anything there apart from a ladder or something like that.
Unless you are a big wine collector, what else are they 'useful' for as agents put it?

NannyPlumForPrimeMinister Thu 06-Mar-14 15:04:32

Ours is not full height but nice and dry. I have a tumble drier, spare freezer and DIY tools there.

We have been in this house 10 years and it has never flooded.

The house we are hoping to buy if everything goes smoothly has a couple of massive dry ones. I am thinking an indoor play area for the kids on wet horrible days where they can have a disco and jump around like crazy smile

MrsJohnDeere Thu 06-Mar-14 15:08:05

Nothing. Ours isn't dry (next to a river and it floods occasionally).

If we ever get it lined/waterproofed we'd use it for storage, I expect.

beaglesaresweet Thu 06-Mar-14 20:59:01

hi Nanny, do you use the tumble dryer in winter too? going into the cold with all the wet stuff to put in?
I'm wondering how much would it cost to dry line - I also read that it can be bad for the walls, condensation or something. And even if lined you'd have to heat it really in winter - even for the kids to dance in grin!
Mrs, well yes if it floods, it's a waste of space tbh! hope the damp doesn't affect the rooms upstairs.

NannyPlumForPrimeMinister Fri 07-Mar-14 08:28:20

Our cellar isn't drastically cold and the tumble drier is a condenser so no steam. We used to use radiators and a dehumidifier for drying in winter so this is a big improvement.

The kids can dance in jackets- they never feel cold at the best of times and trying to get them to wear slippers and socks in the house is impossible.

The cellars on the new house are massive- will be fantastic if it goes through. They are all painted and clean- I am not sending them down to a spider riddled hole btw!
grin
The house next door to the new one has a massive sauna, a full size pool table and one of those table football machines in theirs so pretty sizeable

Scuttlebug Fri 07-Mar-14 08:32:28

Storage for random stuff that should probably be taken to the tip...paint tins, old paperwork, a couple of cases stuffed with more rubbish...we have an empty wine rack...no point trying to store wine in this house!

It's basically another place to store shit that won't go in our loft, garage or other cellars (we have three, get us!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now