Talk

Advanced search

Architects...is this excessive? Or just me [blush]

(23 Posts)
Trebuchet Thu 06-Mar-14 14:31:04

Hoping to have a small 2 storey extension on our house. The builder says it's very strait forward and recommended an architect. I asked the architect for a quote, and it's come back as £1375 plus vat for drawings and sending it off for planning, and a further £1050 plus vat for technical drawings for building regs. This does not include postage printing or travel or local authority fees. Whatever they are...

I sort of thought £500 quid might cover it... Naive?....

Is this a normal sort of fee? Not had anything like this done before.

Thanks.

LondonGirl83 Thu 06-Mar-14 14:34:53

That's not unreasonable.

Trebuchet Thu 06-Mar-14 14:36:03

Ps we are not in London if that would make a difference.

schmalex Thu 06-Mar-14 14:36:14

Seems normal to me too.

Trebuchet Thu 06-Mar-14 14:36:23

Ok thanks

struggling100 Thu 06-Mar-14 14:43:48

Yes, that's normal. It's expensive.

If you know exactly what you want, you could employ an architectural technician to draw up the plans for you at a lower cost.

Trebuchet Thu 06-Mar-14 14:44:36

Thanks for feedback. I thought I'd read in a homes mag that you can expect to pay £4-500 for plans... Must've misread.

Labootin Thu 06-Mar-14 14:47:05

Homes magazines price quotes are the equivalent of the Chicken that's feeds a family of eight for a week plus soup.

Fee sounds about right.

pmgkt Thu 06-Mar-14 14:47:33

That's expensive, it was fine until I noticed they were charging another grand for the building regs. My hubby does this and I would say about £1200 + vat for both drawings plus you pay building reg/planning fees to council. Unless you are trying to do something with huge amounts of glass or very technical

pmgkt Thu 06-Mar-14 14:47:52

Where are you anyway?

MummytoMog Thu 06-Mar-14 14:50:00

I paid about �1500 for plans for a two storey extension, and then paid the planning fees direct to the council. No other fees for technical drawings from what I remember. In London.

You could ask around a bit. If it is very straightforward, you might find someone cheaper. I don't remember the technical drawings being terribly complicated, just with positions of the steels and descriptions of the various insulation/windows/smoke alarms etc.

Trebuchet Thu 06-Mar-14 15:03:44

Thank you. We are in the midlands. Thanks for the advice

pmgkt Thu 06-Mar-14 15:23:08

I would get some other quotes locally then, sorry we are down south so can't help you out.

Parliamo Thu 06-Mar-14 15:27:12

I've just paid 550 for plans for a bigger two storey extension plans + building regs + planning fees (which are fixed by the council). It's pretty standard stuff though, and all he's done is draw up (hand drawn - he's old school!) my ideas.

I'd be asking round and getting some more quotes. Asked any local builders for recommendations?

AngryFeet Thu 06-Mar-14 15:30:46

I am paying similar but ours is quite complicated. If your is simple then just get a technician to do it. Half the cost.

wigglybeezer Thu 06-Mar-14 15:38:03

I am paying £ 600 not including fees etc. but that is for taking down a wall and putting in a new staircase. Also it's my NDN and he is doing it at mates rates.

truelymadlysleepy Thu 06-Mar-14 15:57:40

As above I'd be looking at an architectural technician to do the construction drawings if it's a simple job.
Your builder might know a local one.

AngryFeet Thu 06-Mar-14 16:09:07

Technicians often advertise in the local paper

lovingmatleave Thu 06-Mar-14 17:32:01

If its pretty straightforward you don't need a fully qualified architect. Try an architectural technician or someone advertising architectural services. We are being charged around £1000 by one these for both sets of drawings, plus planning fee and building regs fees which are charged by the local authority.

MaryShelley Thu 06-Mar-14 18:22:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LadyKooKoo Thu 06-Mar-14 19:57:41

Where about in The Midlands are you? Our architect works for a big firm in Birmingham but does work on the side. We paid £250 per set of drawings (buildings regs have just gone in) and he also put us in touch with a structural engineer who did all the calcs for the steels etc and he charged us £300.

Trebuchet Thu 06-Mar-14 21:10:22

Lady Kokomo owe are near Redditch I'd be grateful of any recommendation xx

Trebuchet Thu 06-Mar-14 21:10:49

Thanks for advice all

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: