Talk

Advanced search

New wood sash windows for under 1k?

(16 Posts)
DoMyBest Thu 06-Mar-14 10:15:20

We're moving back to London (Fulham) into a crumbling old Victorian house with single glazed wood sash windows we're going to replace with double-glazed wood. But we just got a quote and they said 2K per window (bit of a shock, in Brussels where we live now they're about £750 per window). I've found a few posts on mumsnet saying you can get them for about £750-1k each but without any recommendations for names (unless I read them too fast): can any of you give me some names of companies that do decent ones for that price? Ideally, based in or around London. Thanks.

tangledzebra Thu 06-Mar-14 20:21:49

I would be interested to hear recommendations too DoMyBest.

wonkylegs Thu 06-Mar-14 20:28:56

Ours are about £1.2k a window but we're not in London I'm afraid.
Ours are made by a local FENSA registered joiner & are beautiful. They are very large sashes and had to have toughened glass in the lower panes at extra expense due to the very low cill heights throughout the house. The nice thing is that they have replicated all the quirks of the differing designs & mouldings throughout the house so they still have character yet they actually work and there are now no draughts.

DoMyBest Thu 06-Mar-14 22:35:11

That sounds perfect wonkylegs, well done. I'll look out for FENSA certified companies.

Quinteszilla Thu 06-Mar-14 22:40:12

We got ours with Anglian, actually. Two period wood windows and a wood door for the front, and 5 upvc period style windows in different sizes (looks identical to the wood windows to be honest) and a upvc glass door for 9 k in total. Friend of mine paid more than 30k for new windows for her Fulham 6 bed. (Not with Anglian, local joiner)

LondonGirl83 Thu 06-Mar-14 23:26:10

we used sash restoration and it was about 1.3k per window. That included installation and they are hardwood frames and came painted. The company aren't in London but we are and they do lots of work in London I believe.

cooper44 Fri 07-Mar-14 21:01:56

I got a big double glazed sash made for £800. Then got our carpenter to fit it. The company was on st Ann's hill in Wandsworth. Could prob find out the name for you. I was really happy with it. Especially as it replaced a vile metal 70s monstrosity.

cooper44 Fri 07-Mar-14 21:03:52

Here you go. BM Bull joinery.

MisForMumNotMaid Fri 07-Mar-14 21:08:58

If in doubt try ebay from £499 unglazed. They're not London but that doesn't mean they wouldn't supply and you could get a local fitter.

For my last house I had windows made by one company and fitted by another saved an absolute fortune.

Quinteszilla Fri 07-Mar-14 23:43:53

Make sure you get other joiners than Bull in for a quote. And ensure they get the measurements right, so they dont end of quoting for wrong size windows, and then end up stuck when you query it.... Find out whether the quote includes "window furnishings" or not, and whether you need to drop by to a work shop somewhere to select....

DoMyBest Sun 09-Mar-14 19:46:48

Thanks all, great tips. Cooper44 we'll get your wandworth rd company in for a quote too now (under 1k per window? Great!). Mumsnet really is amazing.

CuddyMum Mon 10-Mar-14 13:59:55

I've just copied my reply to another similar thread. Hope it helps.

I have just had 4 wooden sash windows done with slimlite double glazing by Joinery Workshop. I had loads of companies around to quote and as well as being the cheapest, I preferred them. They were the last company I contacted following a recommendation on here.

joineryworkshop.com/

allyfe Tue 11-Mar-14 20:16:19

Just to say, make sure that the windows have a warranty. Our builder got a wooden double glazed sash for us for our kitchen extension. Apparently it was custom made, but it is the most shoddy piece of work I've ever seen. It is more draughty than our original Edwardian sash windows. The double glazing isn't done correctly and it doesn't fit the frame properly. Obviously we were unlucky, but it is possible to get a dodgy double glazed sash.

TheGreatHunt Tue 11-Mar-14 20:22:19

We had ours refurbished not replaced and draught proofed. That with thick curtains did the job for about £800 a window (in London)

onceipopicantstop Wed 12-Mar-14 10:36:18

Sorry to jump in on a thread but wonkylegs where are you based? We're looking for suppliers in Wales / the Southwest.

FreckledLeopard Wed 12-Mar-14 10:37:34

Onceipop I paid £1400 for my window in Bristol. Amazing local carpenter who did it. PM me if you want details.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now