Talk

Advanced search

My new house has a steam room. What is it for?

(17 Posts)
TheSurgeonsMate Thu 06-Mar-14 09:19:53

Should I keep it? Are there benefits to being steamed?

OnePlanOnHouzz Thu 06-Mar-14 09:31:53

You could always sit in there with your laundry ?!

Try it and see if you like it - ( without the laundry !) I find them too choking / air heavy - am always worried I'll faint in there - so I only use the one at the gym when there are other people around !
Eucalyptus infusions in a steam room can help clear your nose ?!

Bluestocking Thu 06-Mar-14 09:40:29

No idea about the steam room but I just wanted to greet you with the secret seafaring handshake and say "why, there you are, Diana!"

TheSurgeonsMate Thu 06-Mar-14 09:56:11

Just to be clear, bluestocking - the new house is not a castle on the Spanish side of the Pyrenees, just a house.

It does get quite "air heavy" in there, this is how I worked out it wasn't just a shower, and my toddler was looking a bit wan. I was steaming away this morning, neither liking it nor disliking it, and I just wondered what people liked about it or felt it did for them.

ElleDubloo Thu 06-Mar-14 10:36:42

Is it supposed to open up the pores?

I've tried steam rooms in various spas/gyms a few times in my life. Never felt it did anything for me, but it can be quite relaxing.

KarenBrockman Thu 06-Mar-14 10:39:14

I thought people went into them to dry off after a shower, at the gym.

AntoinetteCosway Thu 06-Mar-14 10:52:49

I always feel like I can't breathe in steam rooms. Might be useful for getting creases out of clothes though...!

truelymadlysleepy Thu 06-Mar-14 10:55:34

I'd love my very own steam room. They're so relaxing and make you feel very clean. I'd try it before getting rid.
Might be a faff to clean though.

SnakeyMcBadass Thu 06-Mar-14 10:55:55

I love steam rooms. Loathe saunas (feel like I'm baking). I find steam rooms easy to breathe in and refreshing. DS finds they help his asthma.

Rooners Thu 06-Mar-14 10:57:18

Are you sure it isn't just a shower with poorly designed ventilation? grin

MasterFlea Thu 06-Mar-14 11:00:34

I have a sauna in my house. A little bit different but I guess the idea is to sit there and relax. No phones, books or any distractions. There aren't many opportunities to just properly relax in our house. And there are supposed to be health benefits but I don't know what they are for a steam room.

Tyranasaurus Fri 07-Mar-14 08:07:05

They're good if you have a cold

TheSurgeonsMate Fri 07-Mar-14 14:39:52

I can see that Tyranasaurus, but do you think people would really install one for this reason?! I suppose the answer is that it was installed by someone who really enjoys steaming and not for any particular benefit.

nancy75 Fri 07-Mar-14 14:41:26

it could cut down on the ironing, can't think of any reason to actually sit in one

TheSurgeonsMate Fri 07-Mar-14 14:41:59

Or, looking back up the thread, someone who did find it beneficial, like Snakey's son.

eurochick Fri 07-Mar-14 14:42:57

I used to love good steam at my gym after a work out. And they are great if you have a cough or blocked nose (although perhaps not for those you are sharing the steam with if in a public one!). Pop a hair mask on and steam away!

Bramshott Fri 07-Mar-14 14:46:01

Steam is really good if you have sinus problems.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now