Talk

Advanced search

F & B emulsion on newly plastered walls - Dulux undercoat?

(8 Posts)
Thesunrising Thu 06-Mar-14 07:14:28

I'm using F&B ammonite on some newly plastered walls in a bedroom. We've done the mist coat using a plain white emulsion, but suspect that we are going to need to do an undercoat before two topcoats of the ammonite.

Can i get away with using non F&B emulsion for the undercoat, using a colour matched Dulux for example - I'm worried about the two different types of paint not adhering or producing a bad finish.

Any experiences of doing this to make the project a bit more affordable? Thanks!

MissScatterbrain Thu 06-Mar-14 07:17:08

I've never used F&B's undercoats - their paints seem to work fine on top of cheap white emulsion.

peggyundercrackers Thu 06-Mar-14 07:48:04

we didnt put any undercoat on our walls when using F&B emulsion, just the mist coat then two coats of emulsion and it was fine.

Thesunrising Thu 06-Mar-14 08:20:01

Thanks both. This all sounds encouraging!

Blackeyez09 Thu 06-Mar-14 15:35:35

Hi
Could someone just explain what difference is between mist coat, primer and emulsion undercoat... Feeling a bit of a div

I am hoping to paint my walls with farrow and ball estate emulsion but not sure how to prep walls ie I'm hoping to avoid using their primer (due to expense)

Thanks!

peggyundercrackers Thu 06-Mar-14 15:43:45

blackeyez09 a mist coat is just emulsion mixed with water 50/50 which needs put on a newly plastered wall - it seals the plaster and provides a base for the emulsion and stops the emulsion chipping/peeling off. if the wall has previously been painted you dont needa mist coat.

ive never used a primer for emulsion, didnt even know you got a primer for emulsion.

Blackeyez09 Thu 06-Mar-14 17:34:31

Thanks Peggyundercrackers!

shouldbedoingtheironing Thu 06-Mar-14 17:43:52

We've just done 50/50 on our newly plastered walls with cheap white emulsion. Coverage was fine with the one watered down coat plus two coats of the chosen matt emulsion on top.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now