Talk

Advanced search

White gloss that doesn't yellow?

(15 Posts)
ColdTeaAgain Tue 04-Mar-14 16:43:59

Anyone got experience with what are the best products to use in areas of low light so that newly applied white gloss doesn't go creamy yellow within a few weeks/months! Thanks smile

Pandalaw Tue 04-Mar-14 17:00:23

Acrylic/ water based gloss doesn't yellowsmile

ContentedSidewinder Tue 04-Mar-14 19:20:40

I've just recently used the acrylic primer and "gloss" by Leyland from Screwfix. It is more matt finish so you won't get the glossy finish of gloss.

I had my stairs glossed by a painter and then I did all the skirting in the hall with the acrylic. The acrylic seems whiter!

If you are using the acrylic yourself, start somewhere where you can experiment a bit or use an old bit of wood. Definitely use the primer and a decent quality brush, none of the throwaway brushes you can get.

When you come to use the paint itself you will need to thin it down with water otherwise it will leave brush marks and feels awful to work with as it is too thick. Every time I took a break I put the brush into a jar of water.

You can recoat in a couple of hours, it doesn't have the smell that gloss does but it does still smell a bit but it doesn't linger like gloss.

ColdTeaAgain Thu 06-Mar-14 09:42:45

Thank you both, will be off to get supplies on saturday then! Wish I had thought about asking this question before starting with the normal gloss; although that was in a fairly bright room so hopefully be ok for a while fingers crossed!

struggling100 Thu 06-Mar-14 15:36:51

A lot of manufacturers have had to reduce solvent content in paints due to EU regulations. The result is that gloss goes yellow really quickly.

Dulux Trade is supposed to have a new formula that stays white for longer: https://dulux.trade-decorating.co.uk/news/the_white_stuff.jsp I haven't tried it, so can't vouch for it.

MillyMollyMama Thu 06-Mar-14 17:11:31

Don't use gloss! Use a satin for wood or eggshell for wood . Much nicer, more durable and easier to use. I have not used gloss for 25 years!

TimothyClaypoleLover Fri 07-Mar-14 17:11:01

Be careful with the Dulux water based stuff. It is really really thick and doesn't give the same finish as normal gloss. You can choose to water it down which makes it a bit more manageable. My DH used it last week in our bedroom and it peeled off really easy once dry so we ended up reverting back to normal gloss. We tried to take it back and get a refund but B&Q told us to take it up with Dulux.

TimothyClaypoleLover Fri 07-Mar-14 17:12:09

Meant we reverted back to satin, not gloss!

minibmw2010 Fri 07-Mar-14 18:33:35

Satinwood, every time smile

ColdTeaAgain Fri 07-Mar-14 20:27:17

Ok consensus seems to be satinwood but I'm confused as I looked on the Dulux website and it says satinwood will yellow in areas of low light? Maybe it doesn't do it as badly as standard gloss?

ContentedSidewinder Fri 07-Mar-14 21:22:34

I decorated my hall with satinwood and within 18 months it is now cream not even off white but cream.

As I said upthread I then used Leyland which is Johnstones trade paint (the same stuff my decorators used) and painted the skirting and architrave in the hall because we are replacing the doors and it just goes to show how yellow the satinwood has become.

As struggling said they changed the law on the level of solvent that could be used in paint so it yellows far quicker than it ever has.

There is a video on YouTube that shows you the dulux paint, I can't vouch for it though as I use Trade places not DIY sheds.

The massive difference with the water based gloss/satinwood/eggshell paint is when you paint it, it doesn't give the coverage that you expect (if you have previously used gloss or eggshell) so you need to apply 3 thin coats rather than plaster it on. But the best bit is by the time you have given it one coat it is ready for another. It dries very quickly. Plus it isn't as glossy/sheeny.

I used this primer and then this gloss I am an eggshell person normally.

I started somewhere discreet so that I could test it out. It definitely needs watering down so decant it into a paint kettle, add some water, mix well and put it on. In the end I could do it by eye. I painted 2 brand new doors, primed them first despite them having a factory prime already applied, brand new skirting in the new kitchen extension, plus skirting in the hall and the architrave for 5 doors off the hall.

ColdTeaAgain Fri 07-Mar-14 22:07:30

Thanks so much Contented!

ramonaquimby Fri 07-Mar-14 22:25:41

White gloss paint is a bit old fashioned I think. We've only ever used eggshell. Much softer looking, and doesn't discolour like gloss normally does

gamerchick Fri 07-Mar-14 22:30:29

I go to b&q get the water based gloss (not cheap) dries fast.. doesn't smell and doesn't yellow.

The end.

GoodnessIsThatTheTime Fri 07-Mar-14 22:35:52

I thought from another thread the trend for Matt paints instead of gloss head been and gone. Certainly we weren't too impressed with our satinwood (I think) woodwork.

we're about to repaint so reading a few of these threads. One of them was the "what current trend will look dated.." type thing. Like olive bathrooms. Matt woodwork was high on the list.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now