Talk

Advanced search

Ikea vs howdens prices...

(14 Posts)
Badvoc Sun 02-Mar-14 12:20:26

Anyone know how howdens trade prices are vs ikea?
More or less?
Our builder had said he will get us a howdens kitchen for trade price and just charge us for fitting....which is great unless howdens prices are ££££.
Anyone know?
Thanks

NoArmaniNoPunani Sun 02-Mar-14 12:22:03

Watching with interest as we were wondering the same thing. I wish kitchen companies would be a bit more transparent with their prices.

Badvoc Sun 02-Mar-14 12:22:57

Builder has told me to go and check out the showroom, but they won't tell me the trade price will they? sad

KarenBrockman Sun 02-Mar-14 12:23:53

Refuse to buy from a firm that doesn't give you a price list.

ManicMinor Sun 02-Mar-14 12:23:57

We got a full Howdens kitchen via our builder for £1500, including the cooker, so think they can definitely be cheaper than Ikea.

tb Sun 02-Mar-14 13:02:42

Also, I read in the paper that Ikea are discontinuing Faktum and replacing it with something else, although spares will be available for 2 years.

Disclaimer - this may only be in France

Badvoc Sun 02-Mar-14 13:06:40

That's right TB...the new range is called metod.

LiveInABox Sun 02-Mar-14 15:32:27

We found Ikea just slightly cheaper than Howdens, but the range of interior fittings etc made us plump for Ikea. I also read somewhere that Howdens wall units are not as deep as Ikea and don't fit dinner plates in them! So worth checking dimensions out too. We're on our second Ikea kitchen (different properties) and we're about to move and will go with Ikea again.

Badvoc Sun 02-Mar-14 15:33:44

Yeah.
Think we have pretty much deiced to go with them.
Has anyone fitted their own ikea kitchen?
Good idea or not?

MummytoMog Sun 02-Mar-14 18:06:01

I fitted most of my last one and just got a chap in to do the worksurfaces and tweak the doors straight. And a gasman to do the hob. Planning on doing the same this time, it takes a while and a fair bit of tweaking but fitting prices are basically daylight robbery.

Badvoc Sun 02-Mar-14 19:34:09

Yes they are aren't they?
Am amazed at what we have been quoted tbh.

sleepyhead Sun 02-Mar-14 21:00:12

We've recently moved into a flat with a new Howdens kitchen and LiveInABox is right, the dinner plates don't fit in the wall cupboards angry.

Our last place had an IKEA kitchen which we fitted ourselves and in terms of quality I prefer the IKEA fittings. I'd do it again, but I'd do what MummyToMog did and get someone to do the worktop.

Obviously don't know about the price of Howdens, but it seems to me that this idea of only selling to trade and the price being vastly inflated so that fitters can offer huge "discounts" is a bit suspect.

Badvoc Mon 03-Mar-14 07:24:45

Yes that's what I think too.
Bit nervous about fitting it ourselves though smile

MicroPigInHighHeels Mon 03-Mar-14 14:47:33

Howdens trade discount, iirc from 4 years ago, was about 80%. So if you have a good builder who will let you just pay that price as I did (dh & fil fitted it for me) then it's worth it. Had IKEA kitchen in a previous home which we had to do lots of very clever cutting up to make fit as they don't factor in British homes having need for space behind to house pipe runs, etc...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now