Talk

Advanced search

Does Dulux Light + Space work?

(36 Posts)
HawkeyeInChaos Sun 02-Mar-14 00:09:19

I have a hall, stairs and landing that are quite dark. Thay get a little natural light but not much. Is it worth spending the money on Dulux Light + Space paint? Or is it a waste of money and I would do just as well with a light trade paint and a mirror?

Basically, does this paint do what it says on the tin?

Thanks.

HerGraciousMajTheBeardedPotato Sun 02-Mar-14 00:14:22

I've not used it myself, but have seen it in friends' houses and it worked. It certainl enhanced the brightness of the room. TBH though, for what you describe, I would probably use a mirror as well as the L&S paint.

OnePlanOnHouzz Sun 02-Mar-14 08:21:33

it does make a difference - use it with daylight bulbs in your light fittings too !!!

iamaLeafontheWind Sun 02-Mar-14 08:54:19

I've just painted a dark hall & north facing living room with it. I really like it, definitely brighter and that's with a matt finish.

AnythingNotEverything Sun 02-Mar-14 08:55:35

I like it. We have it on our hall/stairs/landing.

Mercedes519 Sun 02-Mar-14 08:57:29

I'm currently painting the back room with it in an almost similar colour to what it was before. I think it does look brighter than the normal paint and I got it on buy one get one half price at B&q so didn't work out that much more.

oneplan what difference do daylight bulbs make?

Christelle2207 Sun 02-Mar-14 08:58:33

We've used it several times and it does have a certain effect that we like. We are likely to use it for our hall stairs and landing which is light and spacious enough as it is.

MrsBertMacklin Sun 02-Mar-14 08:58:40

I used it when it first came onto the market, so maybe the formulation has changed.

But, I had to apply four coats to get decent coverage and I don't think it did anything that a bright white wouldn't have done anyway.

HawkeyeInChaos Sun 02-Mar-14 10:07:24

Sounds like it may be worth it - especially if I can get a B&Q deal.

MrsBert I guess a formulation change is possible, especially if customers weren't happy in the early days.

oneplan I've not even heard of daylight bulbs. I'm going to investigate.

MILdesperandum Sun 02-Mar-14 10:27:15

My mum has it in her entire downstairs which used to be very dark - she's happy with it, although, she reckons it attracts more moths and insects due to the light reflecting properties (not sure if that's true!)

georgedawes Sun 02-Mar-14 10:52:13

I yhink it does make a difference, although it does mark easily! We're pleased with the results though.

OnePlanOnHouzz Sun 02-Mar-14 15:12:53

Daylight bulbs give a more natural clear light - basically emulates daylight - difficult to explain - one you have seen one on - you will get it !! Have used them in hallways with those lamps that light artwork up before - as they can stay on all, day and night and no one notices !

theynevershutup Sun 02-Mar-14 15:18:38

We have just painted our darkish lounge with desert wind from light and space range, looks much lighter than before but that could be because previous colour was darker. Am very happy with results though.

hiccupgirl Sun 02-Mar-14 20:46:05

I painted our boxroom in last year and it made a huge difference - think I used Frosted Dawn.

I would agree though that the coverage is not great and I had to do 3 coats even after doing a 1st coat of cheap plain white. It also crazed on 1 wall - not sure why but luckily it mostly covered by shelves there.

smallinthesmoke Sun 02-Mar-14 20:55:42

I liked it and would use it again. My painter however said we were gullible twits and all paint is basically the same!

Basketofchocolate Sun 02-Mar-14 21:02:44

I used it in our dark hallway and am really happy. Apparently it has glass particles in it or something that does the light reflecting job.

FrontForward Sun 02-Mar-14 21:04:12

I have it. It might be lighter but it's also dirty and worn badly

HawkeyeInChaos Sun 02-Mar-14 21:26:56

Hmm. Am a bit anxious if multiple coats are required. That could put costs up quite a bit.

Also worrying about it parking easily. I have two young children, and bumps, bashes and sticky fingers are inevitable. But I guess any light coloured paint will show them to some extent.

Daylight bulbs are a definite though.

HerGraciousMajTheBeardedPotato Sun 02-Mar-14 22:46:59

Of you're worried about sticky fingers, it might be worthwhile getting a scrub able paint l

mabelbabel Mon 03-Mar-14 09:43:37

Our experience with testers was that it was certainly going to require more coats that standard dulux emulsion. In the end we went for a very pale standard dulux paint, and changed all the lightbulbs as Oneplan suggests. It made a VAST difference.

mabelbabel Mon 03-Mar-14 09:43:53

*than standard emulsion

GoodnessIsThatTheTime Mon 03-Mar-14 09:48:45

I was tempted followign the thread. We have a dark hallway/stairs. But we also have sticky children....

The scrubable paints are all shiny aren't they? I don't like shiny either.

HerGraciousMajTheBeardedPotato Mon 03-Mar-14 10:48:44

Not mine.

Not, perhaps, quite as flat matt as a heritage paint, but no sheen whatsoever.

I was dubious when the decorator recommended it, memories of the horrid vinyl paint of my childhood, but it's perfectly normal-looking.

I don't scrub with a scourer, I wipe or gently rub with a damp e-cloth, and it comes up as good as new. You really cannot tell where I have cleaned. (Obviously it's clean again! But the cleaned paint is not different to the uncleared paint.)

CalamitouslyWrong Mon 03-Mar-14 10:54:36

Completely useless. We (well DH) put 6 coats on our hall and it still looked patchy and terrible. Shows up every imperfection in the wall too. And the colour looks odd.

Two coats with a light colour in a normal finish (dulux gave us vouchers to pay for this) and the walls looks lovely. The hall looks much brighter with standard matt paint than it did with the light and space stuff. We got a heritage colour mixed up in diamond Matt (scrubbable stuff).

I'd avoid the light and space stuff like the plague.

CalamitouslyWrong Mon 03-Mar-14 10:55:21

The diamond matt paint isn't shiny in the least. I think the other brand equivalents are equally matt too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now