Talk

Advanced search

Would I be mad to consider upvc bifold doors in a south facing house?

(7 Posts)
CurlyhairedAssassin Sat 01-Mar-14 17:18:24

I've read that upvc bifold doors end up warping and giving problems especially when they are in direct sunlight. Our extension plans specify upvc bifolds but am wondering if that will be a mistake? Is aluminium worth the extra?

CurlyhairedAssassin Sat 01-Mar-14 17:36:30

Meant to add: we are on a budget so everything else will be a basic spec.

truelymadlysleepy Sat 01-Mar-14 18:09:13

Not sure about the budget but we're having wooden ones made by a local joiner. Much cheaper than any of the quotes we got from elsewhere.

addictedtosugar Sat 01-Mar-14 18:27:28

White shouldn't warp. If your going for dark brown, I personally would avoid uPVC. Tho to be fair solar insolation on other parts of the world causes much more of a problem for dark uPVC than the UK!

Our S facing double doors have lost their top gloss coat, but are structurally sound. Its cosmetic.

CurlyhairedAssassin Sat 01-Mar-14 22:52:18

How long have you had them, addicted? We would be getting white ones. I know some people don't like the look of them but they're fine for us (well, fine for our budget wink)

Double doors might be easier to stay structurally sound than a long run of 4, though, I guess.

LondonGirl83 Sat 01-Mar-14 22:55:20

What's your budget? You can get stock / ex-display aluminium ones for much cheaper than standard so that might be an option.

addictedtosugar Sun 02-Mar-14 11:29:54

They went the first summer, which is why I think it might have been a faulty batch.
The manufacturer has been out and restored the top coat, but it went the next summer. I don't think its normal. Sorry, should have said that initially.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now