Talk

Advanced search

New Central heating system WWYD?

(3 Posts)
Thegoatprophecy Sat 01-Mar-14 13:46:30

Right I think I have made a decision on what to do but could do with other opinions. Moved into my new place, 1990 5/6 bed 3 bath detached late Summer 2013. Heating system comprises; an oldish ESSE stove/cooker which also produces hot water and heating to several rads; a small oil stove in the lounge which has a back boiler heating a couple of rads upstairs (there is an open fireplace behind it); an electric immersion heater and another fireplace where a wood burner can be slotted in with a back boiler if required (chimney is lined correctly etc.). Also the pipework is designed so a normal boiler can just be slotted in. The house is near the South coast so solar is an option. I need to do something as the oil stoves are too expensive to run and it's near impossible to get anyone out to service/fix the stoves properly and quickly if there is a problem. I would also like another way to run the rads in the summer when the ESSE is off. It would be good to have the option to divide the house for income potential in the future. I would be interested to hear any thoughts thanks smile

HelpfulChap Sat 01-Mar-14 13:57:52

If you intend to be in the house for a considerable time it might be worth investing in an air-source heat pump/s.

Can save up to �1k a year vs oil but the system will cost you �15k give or take to get installed.

It works best with underfloor heating but can be retro-fitted to a normal system.

Thegoatprophecy Sat 01-Mar-14 14:11:06

Thank you. It hasn't got underfloor heating at the moment. I would like to stay here but wanted to see how it panned out for a year or two first really..it is more than I wanted to spend. I do like renewables though smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now