Talk

Advanced search

How long to wait for window certificates and keys?

(7 Posts)
AllBoxedUp Sat 01-Mar-14 08:54:33

We had double glazing fitted in September and still haven't had the certificates or keys. I phoned the fitter last in December and he said he was surprised it was taking so long but not too worry. I've just realised we still don't have them. Is there anyone I can contact about it? We used a local reputable firm who seemed to do a good job but I am getting a bit worried now. Any advice?

AnythingNotEverything Sat 01-Mar-14 09:01:09

If you do the keys, how would you get out if there was a fire?

PigletJohn Sat 01-Mar-14 09:25:42

The fitter should have left the keys on the day the windows went in. If he didn't then he has lost or sold them.

If it is a FENSA company they should issue the certificate. They might be obliged by law but I don't know.

Time for a formal letter of complaint.

I hope you paid by credit card.

AllBoxedUp Sat 01-Mar-14 09:29:17

Thanks again for replies. DH had just said he had the keys so not quite as bad as I thought but still want the certificates!

PigletJohn Sat 01-Mar-14 09:37:56

A good tip is to put a cup-hook in or beside a top corner of the window frame in every room and hang a key on it. It will be out of sight and reach of a burglar and the curtains will probably hide it but you will always know where it is. It will be out of easy reach for small children.

You should have at least two keys per window and they are probably all the same so put the spares safely in your key cabinet.

wonkylegs Sat 01-Mar-14 09:43:04

We got the certificates for the windows in the bathroom (UPVC) - Certass rather than Fensa - 2 weeks after installation & payment.
Our timber windows are going in as they make them and we get the Fensa certificate each time they invoice us.

AllBoxedUp Sat 01-Mar-14 09:55:06

Yes - he put them in a drawer so DS wouldn't hide them! DH thinks it's just an administrative error but it c doesn't seem to be a priority for them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now