Talk

Advanced search

Worcester boiler with a wi fi controller keeps losing 'contact'

(11 Posts)
WildThong Fri 28-Feb-14 15:20:54

Boiler is in upstairs cupboard, controller is on the wall downstairs. It's got a 7 year warranty so the controller and the receiver on the boiler were replaced by the company last week. It's still happening though, either the heating doesn't recognise when to go off and we all roast until we notice or it doesn't come on at all, which is really annoying these cold mornings. Any ideas?

WildThong Fri 28-Feb-14 20:56:34

Bump

PigletJohn Fri 28-Feb-14 21:12:17

yes, my idea is that wireless stats go wrong too often and you would be better off with a wired one.

Honeywell CM907 top of the list.

Is it actual wi-fi, and not just, er, some sort of radio control? We have a wireless controller for the boiler but I have never actually considered how it works.

Do you have cordless phones or anything that could be interfering with it? You can move wi-fi stuff to different channels if they are not happy together.

WildThong Fri 28-Feb-14 21:16:20

Yes, think it is wi fi. We have even tried turning off the house wi fi to see if that helped but it didn't. It's only 2 years old so changing the boiler isn't something we could consider now.
Thanks though.

PigletJohn Fri 28-Feb-14 21:17:36

p.s.

you could try moving the controller nearer the receiver on the boiler, the signal can be interfered with by a wifi hub, or a wireless baby alarm, or some other electrical/electronic device, or a metal obstruction (I've known scaffolding do it)

and try changing the batteries, avoid Duracell as the shape of the end terminals doesn't suit everything.

PigletJohn Fri 28-Feb-14 21:20:54

p.p.s.

I very much doubt that it will be the boiler at fault. Much more likely the control. Wireless ones are more troublesome than wired (per my first unsympathetic response). Either way, Honeywell do seem to be better than the other brands.

MummytoMog Fri 28-Feb-14 22:07:06

Ours had this problem. I'm afraid I don't have any advice, but ours just randomly fixed itself (following an extended power cut and then the main fuses on the house blowing repeatedly for a few days). I suspect there was some loose wiring somewhere. Probably best to get them out again. We move ours round the house with us these days, it seems to like a change of scene.

InsertUsernameHere Fri 28-Feb-14 22:53:35

What is your house made from (ie is it a old stone property)? We had a wifi thermostat in our last flat and the thermostat had to be really close to the boiler to work reliably. This wasn't a huge problem as we just used the TVRs but is just a little annoying. Just insisted on wired thermostats this time despite questioning from the plumber I just about managed to stop myself saying but PigletJohn says

starfish4 Sat 01-Mar-14 17:20:16

As said the controller will be easy to move nearer the boiler. Have you got another frequency inbetween the boiler and controller, eg phone, router, laptop etc. The only reason I ask if that that if I walk around the house with the laptop on or handset phone, if I walk between the controller and boiler it upsets the laptop connection or the phone crackles due to different frequencies crossing eachother, so I suppose it could do the same to the controller.

WildThong Sat 01-Mar-14 18:21:34

We are going to move the controller closer to the boiler cupboard tomorrow, hopefully that will do the trick.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now