Talk

Advanced search

Making an old wooden fireplace look like a new stone one.

(9 Posts)
lynsey321 Fri 28-Feb-14 12:22:00

Hi guys.

I was just wondering if anyone has used the Stonelux Fireplace Stone Coating? Its a stone effect paint thats supposed to make an old wooden/plaster/etc surround look like a stone one.

We've recently moved house and I hate the firesurround but we have more important projects to spend money on first, so I just cant justify the cost of a new surround at present. So I though I'd like to give this paint a go, plus they're running a competition on facebook at present and it doesn't look like many people have entered, so I might end up with the paint for free.

I've had a look at the website and Amazon and it looks like the paint has some decent reviews, but just wondered if anyone has first hand experience or any other recommendations that will be fairly cheap.

stonelux.go-ecommerce.com/shopping/mall/stonelux/Product/1-litre-fireplace-stone-coating-500ml-primer-fp1-1283210

Www.facebook.com/stonelux

Any help/thoughts are much appreciated.

Thanks

Lynsey

Mandy21 Fri 28-Feb-14 13:09:40

We had an old wooden fire surround (dark brown) with the 90s type living flame fire etc and I painted it in F&B All White. It took hundreds lots of coats but I'm very happy with the result.

I never considered making it look like stone so can't comment on the paint you've linked to, but my Aunt did visit a couple of weeks ago and say it looked like a white stone fire surround.

lynsey321 Sat 01-Mar-14 21:38:56

The before and after pictures look pretty promising and the customer feedback on Amazon is good. I've also found the following blog and they're happy with the finish too:

http://ourhause.wordpress.com/category/stonelux

For £41.24 (primer and topcoat and postage) I think I'm going to give it a go. Worst case scenario I still dont like it and have to replace it anyway, but I could end up saving myself anywhere between the £300 and £800+ it would cost me for a new stone one.

Getting excited now, I might be able to get rid of the horrible eyesore in my living room.

Wafflesnaffler Sun 02-Mar-14 12:29:16

This has good reviews: www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=110&storeId=10151&partNumber=625972

Quite a few people who've done their fireplace. Comes in other colours too.

ContentedSidewinder Sun 02-Mar-14 13:36:15

You can see someone using that exact product on YouTube, from start to finish. It looks really good! Although it doesn't say Stonelux in the title it does in the "show more" bit under the video. Looks easy to use and totally transforms the fireplace.

click here

lynsey321 Sun 02-Mar-14 13:44:55

Think I'm gonna go with the Stone Coating. I don't fancy using an aerosol with DS around and the Stone Coating is water based and low odour. I'll let u know how I get on. X

lynsey321 Wed 05-Mar-14 12:16:26

The paint arrived this morning... time to get the overalls on!

Mandy21 Thu 06-Mar-14 17:07:08

How is it looking?

lynsey321 Wed 12-Mar-14 14:03:41

It looks amazing guys! I can't believe it, it looks like a brand new surround and its only cost me �40.00 and a bit of time.

I had to apply the primer first and then 3 thin coats of the paint itself, but the coats dried quickly and I got it done in a day (thought it would take longer with DS running around).

Hopefully I can convince DH to let me finish the rest of the living room now we dont have to include the expense of a new stone fireplace!!

I'm so happy, the hideous wooden surround is long gone!

I'd definately recommend this paint if anyone is thinking about a new stone surround. I've saved myself about �700.

x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now