Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone know what's wrong with my boiler?

(11 Posts)
MrsBungle Thu 27-Feb-14 21:01:07

Any boiler experts who can help me?!

We had a new boiler installed just before Christmas. The boiler was put in the attic as our kitchen is small and I wanted the space. We have a remote control for it.

All was fine for a few weeks. There's now a problem in that the boiler does not listen to any of the time and temperature settings on the remote. It does completely it's own thing confused I am pretty certain it's set correctly as I've watched loads of YouTube videos - it's a salus rt501rf.

If the heating is off and I use the control to turn the temp up (therefore switching the boiler to fire up) the heating will come on - the main problem is that if I switch the temperature down again, the boiler will not switch off. I have to climb into the attic to manually switch it off (then back in to switch it on again).

At the moment the boiler and heating is on and the boiler is quite loud, not banging or hissing, just loud. I can also hear it firing up for about 1-2 minutes then going off again. 5 minutes later, it fires up for 1-2 minutes again.

I've had the guy who installed it out. Firstly, he said I wasn't working the remote correctly, he said we'd only set it to 5 settings and it should be set to 6 and is 'confused'. I triple checked - no the remote only physically has 5 settings - the fifth is an overnight setting.

He now says he's going to change the remote (although this was a week and a half ago hmm I'm now concerned there's something wrong with the whole boiler.

Sorry the epic post, I'd be very grateful for any views smile

workingtolive Thu 27-Feb-14 21:04:12

I have this, your boiler is probably cold in the loft and has an internal frost protection.
I kid you not I am an expert on this. I very much regret having it put up there.

If it's getting unbearably hot you can leave the hatch open so the heat rises and fools the boiler.

Re set your links between boiler and timer or if like me you end up sweltering you go up and turn it off

MrsBungle Thu 27-Feb-14 21:36:00

Thanks for your reply. I'll mention it to the plumber. The attic is not freezing, though. There's loads of insulation up there. It doesn't feel really cold when I'm up there although it is quite a bit colder than down stairs which is currently 24 degrees

ShatnersBassoon Thu 27-Feb-14 21:45:38

There are some boilers that are designed for external temperatures, but I would guess that yours isn't. The insulation in the loft will be keeping the air in there cooler, as it stops the heat from the house escaping upwards. I think it's the frost protection keeping it running too.

ShatnersBassoon Thu 27-Feb-14 21:47:51

You'll have to hope that PigletJohn sees this. He has encyclopedic knowledge of all things plumbing.

MrsBungle Thu 27-Feb-14 22:24:01

Thanks too shatners. I am hoping piglet sees this

Well, the boiler has switched itself off as per the time/temp change on the stat at 10pm. As I say it worked fine for a period of about a month over Christmas which I think was colder than now.

I hope I don't need to get the stupid thing moved sad

PigletJohn Thu 27-Feb-14 22:38:47

I hope it is just the room stat. I'm not keen on wireless ones because they have additional points of failure. I like the wired ones because it is easier to see them working. Try taking the stat up into the loft and see if it works better when you are next to the boiler. It might help to fit new batteries. In some devices Duracell do not make a good contact because of the shape of their tip.

I don't think the weather is cold enough for a frost stat to be causing the trouble.

Some boilers and controls have weather compensation and "learning" programmes which can be annoying as you can't see what they're doing.

If all else fails you could run a cable down from the boiler to a wired stat on the wall. Having the boiler in the loft will make this more work. I am not keen on loft boilers. Sorry.

MrsBungle Fri 28-Feb-14 08:04:31

Thanks v much piglet, much appreciated. I am no longer keen on loft boilers either after having to go up there so much to see what's going on but I'm stuck with it now - lesson learnt! Thanks again. smile

Lagoonablue Fri 28-Feb-14 08:12:19

I have a wireless Salus thing. Took me a while to get it. It is set at certain times and temps but like you if I need it to come on earlier or be hotter I use the remote to turn the temp up. It stays on that until the next programme kicks in and will then revert to whatever is preset. Could it be something to do with the programmes?

MrsBungle Fri 28-Feb-14 11:03:28

Maybe lagoon. I'm having it changed for a Honeywell one so we will see. I'll report back! Thank you everyone.

PigletJohn Fri 28-Feb-14 11:45:11

Honeywell is the preferred make.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now