Talk

Advanced search

Location of waste pipes in new extension

(4 Posts)
CurlyhairedAssassin Thu 27-Feb-14 09:35:22

We've had plans drawn up for a kitchen extension and the planner has suggested putting the main run of units, sink etc down one wall. (Island as well). We're in a semi and that wall will be up to the boundary with next door.

We're also having a downstairs loo and utility at the back of the garage with door into kitchen. We share our garage wall with next door so our utility will adjoin next door's garage so no outside bit for wastes and gulley to go out to.

I don't understand how wastes and drainage works. I have always lived in houses where the waste pipes from the any sinks and toilets have led out to an outside wall and you can see the gulley that the pipe leads into. However our new extension wall which will have the kitchen sink on it won't lead directly to an outside gulley which you could access from the garden I don't think. Both the planner and the one builder who came to have a look seems to think there is not a problem with that and says you can put wastes etc in more places than you would think these days.

I'm looking at the plans and there IS a roddable gulley that will be in the garden but it well away from where I would choose to put a kitchen sink. Does the kitchen sink HAVe to be placed right near to the gulley? What do people do who want a sink on an island which is in the middle of the kitchen floor for example?

Sorry I know I'm not being that clear! but I'm just worrying that we'll be stuck with only one choice of kitchen sink location which wouldn't be where I'd choose to have it.

OnePlanOnHouzz Thu 27-Feb-14 13:08:38

you are right to be considering this at this early stage !!! take the opportunity to speak with the person planning the build and ask where you deffo couldn't have plumbing - and where you deffo could - then design the kitchen that suits you around that info ! it's best to get it all planned at this early stage so you can get things like this plumbing issue sorted !!!

CurlyhairedAssassin Thu 27-Feb-14 18:22:09

Thanks, one plan!

snailsontour Thu 27-Feb-14 18:42:28

We toyed with putting our sink in the island, but some kitchen planners said that it's not the best as the draining can be sluggish... Outside walls tend to be the simplest and most straightforward option.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now