Talk

Advanced search

Kitchen installation price - reasonable?

(16 Posts)
superlambanana Wed 26-Feb-14 23:59:11

We're on a very tight budget with our extension, and are currently choosing between Ikea, Wren, and also looking at B&Q (mainly as they do 4yrs' interest free credit!!). Ikea quote is £4k, Wren quote £6k. Wren units come assembled which would save a lot of time if we install in ourselves (or rather if DH does it as I'll be 8mths pregnant by then).

We thought we could get Ikea units and pay for installation and it still come in cheaper but we've been quoted £1500 by our builder, which seems rather high compared to what I've read - pretty much the same as the shops charge, and it seems that they all overcharge (so opinion seems to be).

Should we just bite the bullet and get units and installation as a package, or try to find a cheaper installation quote, or attempt to do it ourselves? I've no doubt we could, but we've already got to lay the floor and redecorate the whole house and I'm getting worried about time!

Any bright ideas...?

MrsJamin Thu 27-Feb-14 05:54:11

Have you looked at www.diy-kitchens.com, they seem really reasonable and come preassembled too. Not sure about your fitting cost.

ToFollowJulie Thu 27-Feb-14 06:04:09

When we did our kitchen we built the (IKEA) units ourselves and installed them, but then paid a joiner to fit the worktops - the visible part! This seemed to be a good compromise in terms of budget. IKEA units are almost the same to build as any other piece of ikea furniture by the way. The hardest part was attaching the handles to doors and drawers.

zoemaguire Thu 27-Feb-14 06:04:28

Fitting cost seems fairly standard, though it depends how big the kitchen is. Is your builder including assembly of the ikea units? Because that would add a fair bit to time and therefore cost of installation.

Another vote for diy kitchens, btw. Astoundingly good value, and though we only bought accessories from them they were vv efficient and professional.

OnePlanOnHouzz Thu 27-Feb-14 07:25:31

what do you feel is a normal day rate for someone doing that sort of thing - and how does that stack up with how long they think it will take ?! and have they got the right equipment to do professional routered worktop corner joints ?!?

superlambanana Thu 27-Feb-14 20:03:09

I've no idea about the day rate... I was going on a very rough cost given to me by a builder a while ago, and what people have said on here, and compared to what the big companies charge. The kitchen is 3.5mx4.5m but only half of that will be units (other half for dining) in a U shape.

Does anyone know what a joiner might charge to cut and fit the worktops - 3 lengths?

PigletJohn Thu 27-Feb-14 22:54:59

my joiner charges about £150/day and would do a better job of fitting cabs and cutting worktops than most builders. He would be cheaper than a kitchen company.

you will need to find an electrician and a plumber as well, IME they will also be better and cheaper for their particular jobs.

I recommend to look at Cabinet Hanging Rail for the wall cabs rather than individual brackets.

kmdesign Fri 28-Feb-14 06:29:18

Is that just for kitchen fitting or the whole project including removal or kitchen, electrics, plumbing, plastering, kitchen fitting and misc joinery work?

If its the former its too much. If not it may be reasonable depending on the state of the room, condition of electrics etc.

OnePlanOnHouzz Fri 28-Feb-14 08:11:07

the electrics need to conform to part P so - so need an appropriately qualified electrician who can sign them off ! if you are having gas - then similar for gas installer - so removal and disposal of old will cost - so sadly it all adds up!

sleepyhead Fri 28-Feb-14 11:49:34

I fitted an ikea kitchen (at 8 months pregnant actually!) and it was very easy to do. It wasn't a complicated design though and we got a plumber to install the sink.

The only thing I'd have done differently would have been to get a joiner to do the worktops as that's a faff of a job and very visible if you don't get it exactly right.

It took me two days to build and fit 2 wall cupboards and 5 base units, including one corner with carousel which was entertaining to install when you're the size of a small whale. hmm

sleepyhead Fri 28-Feb-14 11:51:11

Oh, and we had a free standing gas cooker - obviously you'd need more paid help if dealing with gas/electric which will all mount up.

superlambanana Fri 28-Feb-14 23:30:43

Sleepyheads that's encouraging, thanks! smile DH will do most of it as I anticipate I'll be a bit useless by then... We will need about 6 wall and 8 base units I think. Will get the electrician who is doing the extension to do the electrics and same for the plumber, and try to find another joiner (without upsetting the builder...!)

sleepyhead Fri 28-Feb-14 23:58:31

I found this very handy.

Also, there are loads of youtube videos - amazing how many people have filmed themselves putting up cupboards...

Basically though, if you can build a Billy bookcase you can put together a Faktum carcass. Get one of the orange plastic templates to help you with placing drill holes for the handles - they only cost a couple of quid and make it a lot easier - in fact, if you decide to go ahead PM me your address and I'll send you ours if I can find it - not planning on using it again any time soon grin.

superlambanana Sat 01-Mar-14 12:57:21

Ah thank you! I'll have a look. Ikea have just changed their kitchens from Faktum to a new range but I can't imagine they'll be much different.

Off to buy plaster to fill in the rewiring holes in the walls....

MrsTaraPlumbing Sat 01-Mar-14 14:37:03

I agree with what Piglet Says, as always.
Your best with
- a real plumber.
- A gas safe registered engineer if there is any gas
- and an electrician.
Perhaps your builder included their fees in his quote?

If you decide to employ individual tradesmen get them to give you a fixed price for the whole job - day rates can result in arguments.

Check whether the charges include VAT.

superlambanana Sat 01-Mar-14 15:19:41

We will definitely use the plumber (gas safe registered) and electrician who are doing the rest of the extension to do the gas and electric bits - we have no wish to accidentally blow ourselves up!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now