Talk

Advanced search

Boiler servicing

(12 Posts)
Boglin Wed 26-Feb-14 18:49:43

Boiler is approx 18 months old, how do we find a reputable company to service it and any idea of rough cost? DH interested in British Gas homecare service but I've heard bad things so after some alternative recommendations if possible.

BackforGood Wed 26-Feb-14 18:54:24

Is it not under some kind of warranty / service agreement to begin with?

Personally, for anything like that,I ask about locally - colleagues, parents of dcs friends, neighbours, etc. I'd always prefer to go with a recommendation than dip blindly into something because it's advertised/marketed well.

BakingBad Wed 26-Feb-14 18:55:59

We weren't happy with BG as they cancelled appointments by letter at v short notice.

With Eon now and v happy with them. �27.50 per month for top level boiler and heating cover, plumbing and drainage and electrics.

I don't work for them, honest smile

BakingBad Wed 26-Feb-14 18:56:37

Don't know what happened to my pound sign..

TheGreatHunt Wed 26-Feb-14 21:11:42

Where are you? If London, we liked pimlico plumbers. Or ask around - neighbours and friends.

Blondieminx Wed 26-Feb-14 21:16:00

Watching with interest as if BG cancel my boiler service appt at short notice for the 3rd year running they are getting the boot!

As regards Eon have you had to call them out yet???

sherbetpips Wed 26-Feb-14 21:16:52

Never had a problem with BG to be honest, always prioritised us when little guy was tiny and always turned up on time.

vj32 Wed 26-Feb-14 22:22:57

Don't know about servicing but they wanted to charge nearly 50% more than anyone else to replace a boiler so I've never bothered with them after that, the quotation was so laughable and even the salesman said we could get a better deal elsewhere (at least I guess that meant he was honest!). I found a local firm I like through council recommended check a trade thing and now stick with them.

vj32 Wed 26-Feb-14 22:24:52

Sorry - just saw you asked about cost. Ours is something around £55 per year. I certainly wouldn't bother paying £25+ per month for insurance on it if it is only 18 months old.

BackforGood Wed 26-Feb-14 22:29:48

I agree with vj32 - I think we paid £70 last time.
It's like all insurance - you weigh up what works for you, but there's no way we've ever had to pay out anywhere near the amount you pay with a monthly contract, by calling someone out as and when.

Boglin Thu 27-Feb-14 15:16:53

Thanks everyone - sorry for not replying sooner. I'm wary of contracts for that reason backforgood, I don't think it would be worth it. I will ask around locally then but also check the warranty etc first. DH thinks it is still in warranty but not under a service agreement but I'll dig out the paperwork to check. Will have a look at the check a trade thing as well, thanks for all the suggestions!

PointandClick Sun 02-Mar-14 13:59:47

Blondie, yes I've had to call Eon out and they always respond quickly.

Our boiler is about 15 yrs old and has had a fair few repairs so worth having good cover. Before our water company took over responsibility for the drains, we had them cleared regularly so the insurance has paid for itself really.
(would normally have cost over �100 a time)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now