Talk

Advanced search

Valspar paint- any good?

(4 Posts)
EarSlaps Wed 26-Feb-14 13:49:41

We're about to have our brand new kitchen decorated. The colour I've seen that I like is a Valspar colour, the type they now mix in B&Q. Strangely, I can't seem to get a colour card for that colour and they couldn't mix a tester pot of that colour in store (she could see it on the computer and could mix into full size pots but it didn't give her a tester pot option). I've seen the colour I like in the kitchen showroom (yes I have no imagination and am having the showroom kitchen grin). Their decorator did it but is booked up until august!

I've heard really mixed reports about Valspar quality, but without a tester or sample card I won't be able to get it mixed by Dulux. So now I don't know whether to risk the valspar, or whether to waste a morning down the dulux decorator centre trying to find a colour match. Our decorator normally uses dulux and recommended the diamond Matt.

Has anyone used valspar and would recommend or advise against?

OnePlanOnHouzz Thu 27-Feb-14 07:53:35

if it looked good in the showroom ( a place where kids run riot while their parents go through plans etc ) then I think it will survive a home !!! don't worry - just order the correct paint so you are sure it will be the exact shade you liked and just keep a small jam jar of '' touch up paint ' in a high cupboard for any quick repair jobs !

RelocatorRelocator Thu 27-Feb-14 12:24:00

We recently used Valspar eggshell to paint some shelves in ds's room. The colour and finish is great and it was really low-odour which I liked. Very pleased with it although it's only been on a few weeks so can't comment on its longevity.

EarSlaps Fri 28-Feb-14 11:11:50

Thanks for the ideas. My friend just said she had Valspar in her hall as her decorator recommended it and will only use that given a choice. I think we'll go with it as I can't see any other purples I like- they're all either too pink, too blue, too grey etc.

We're getting the super scrubbable one so that should be pretty tough and withstand ds2 and his pencils/pens/crayons he always seems to find smile. I'll keep a little pot back for touch ups too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now