Talk

Advanced search

Plantation blinds/shutters - how easy are they to move between houses?

(14 Posts)
thegrandsophy Tue 25-Feb-14 21:40:51

The answer I am hoping for is very very difficult! We are buying a house right at the top of our budget (and over asking price) which has these. The sellers have just asked for half the installation price to leave these in place. Are they really going to be worth them taking if we can't pay? They want 2 thousand! Our coffers are bare but will be sad at the naked windows. (We could probably grub together 2 hundred but if they are worth taking to a new property I expect this will not be attractive.....)

superram Tue 25-Feb-14 22:58:07

They will sell them, sorry. However, I would have something drawn up about specifically making good where they have been removed.

thegrandsophy Tue 25-Feb-14 23:04:52

Oh well. We will ask them to make good. Really can't afford another bean at the moment.

HaveToWearHeels Wed 26-Feb-14 10:14:24

Surely they are made to measure and no good to anyone else ?

MummytoMog Wed 26-Feb-14 10:56:38

Well I have a bunch of shutters I had to take out of my old rooms when doing the extension, and they are rather specific yes. I've hung onto them because they were bloody expensive, but I can't see who (other than my joined on neighbour) could use them.

They are very easy to remove though, just a few screws and some filler. Took about two minutes to get mine out. How old are they and who fitted them originally? If they're sanderson, then worth it, but otherwise I'd be a bit hmmm.

HaveToWearHeels Wed 26-Feb-14 12:25:55

That's what I thought Mummy bit mean to take them and not be able to use them elsewhere. Actually I would say spiteful.

LondonGirl83 Wed 26-Feb-14 12:47:56

That's odd. When we bought our flat though the sellers took the clothing rod in the built in wardrobe so nothing surprises me these days. Tell them you can't afford it and call their bluff. Maybe offer a token gestrure (a few hundred). They will have a hard time selling them on so they are probably just trying it on.

HaveToWearHeels Wed 26-Feb-14 14:01:30

Some people just take the piss LondonGirl, so much more effort than it's worth. I have never taken any curtains or blinds from any house I have sold and not asked for extra money. They are no good to me after all.

Forago Wed 26-Feb-14 14:07:43

that's unbelievable. I spent 1000's putting these in my house and it wouldn't even occur to me to try and take them or sell them if I moved - as far as I am concerned they are now part of the fixtures and fittings. I would say that they are a large part of what attracted you to the property (when we had our house valued recently they put it down as a "substantial" improvement) in the first place, which is at the top of your budget, and you may have to reconsider your offer in the light of them being taken away.

They are trying it on. The chances of any of mine fitting correctly anywhere else are minimal as they were made to measure. I saw the measurements and they were slightly different even for what looked like identical windows.

Forago Wed 26-Feb-14 14:12:00

Actually when we bought this house, there were hideous, heavy, old lady curtains with valances and the rest of it all downstairs and ikea venetian blinds elsewhere. The idiot vendor tried to charge us for them on the fixtures and fittings list, after our offer had been accepted. I made our solicitor have it removed and said we didn't want them as a) we knew we would replace the lot with shutters (was already budgeted in the move) and b) the curtains were hideous. In the event, she of course didn't take them even though we didn't pay for them. As others have said, it is not worth the effort and who has the time or energy when push comes to shove to try and sell them.

ohhifruit Wed 26-Feb-14 14:13:19

How strange.
Whilst they wouldn't be the only reason I'd buy a house, if I liked them they'd certainly sway me and I'd expect them be seen as a fittings like skirting boards or built in kitchen cupboards.

They're chancing their arm a bit, aren't they?
How many windows are the shutters on?

MummytoMog Wed 26-Feb-14 15:14:24

If we moved I wouldn't try to charge for our remaining shutters - I only saved the others because they'd have been skipped otherwise. Do people try to charge for carpet too?

noddyholder Wed 26-Feb-14 15:41:56

They won't be able to re use them so i think say you don't want them! And they may still be there when you move in.

thegrandsophy Wed 26-Feb-14 17:51:31

Thank you for the comments which say exactly what I wanted you to say! I thought they were trying it on a bit as they are a bit fixtures and fittings. Nevermind - have offered a few hundred and will see what they say.,

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now