Talk

Advanced search

wood burner dilemma - will installation ruin the carpet?

(6 Posts)
poocatcherchampion Tue 25-Feb-14 19:13:39

we have been quoted £4k to fit a wood burner with external chimney as part of our renovations.

we can't really afford it. my parents have lent us £3k which we thought would cover it but we are now wondering whether to leave it completely.

as part of the renovations we have established that much of the cold is coming in two sets of sliding french windows in the kitchen diner. we are wondering whether to prioritise them next instead.

would it be mad to finish the sitting room including to carpet and then potentially take some up to install the woodburner & hearth?

what might you do in our position?

specialsubject Tue 25-Feb-14 19:14:55

forget the woodburner and sort out the duff windows first. Otherwise you are just heating the great outdoors.

Cigarettesandsmirnoff Tue 25-Feb-14 19:18:19

I don't know but we lose LOADS of heat from out sliding doors. They are getting dealt with when we can afford it. Suppose the sensible thing is to sort doors. but I'd probably get the wood burner as I want one too

MostlyCake Tue 25-Feb-14 19:24:31

We installed a wood burning stove for a lot less than £4k, is there anywhere else you can get a quote from?

It depends what the issue with the doors is; our double glazing is crap (draughty and cold) but we couldn't afford to replace it, thick curtains make a massive difference. We felt there would be more benefit from the stove as our house was like a freezer.

You will have to cut a chunk out of he carpet to fit the hearth so it might make sense to wait until it's installed before fitting carpet.

However, our new carpet is pretty much destroyed around the front of the hearth as big chunks of wood fall out of the stove and smash into smithereens which then fly over the carpet....Our hearth is huge as well!

I love our stove though and would say go for it! You can always put stop gap solutions to other hints but the stove will literally heat tour while house.

The one thing I'd say though is to investigate one who h does something other than just burn wood - heat hot water or run under floor heating or something. Our a does nothing and it does grate on me sometimes!,

MostlyCake Tue 25-Feb-14 19:26:21

Auto-correct!

stop gap solutions to other things

will literally heat the whole house

MostlyCake Tue 25-Feb-14 19:27:09

We're in scotland and the stove was a 12kw one (I think)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now