Talk

Advanced search

Home automation

(5 Posts)
mona31 Tue 25-Feb-14 17:30:30

Does anyone have automation system(s) fitted to their home? We are in the process of extending and remodelling our ground floor. The new space will consist of a kitchen with dining area, small utility room, WC, hallway and then a good sized living area.

Given that most of the space will require replastering, we are considering adding home automation to the build specification. This will consist of hidden AV equipment (hidden in cabinets and the ceiling), wireless music streaming in each of the kitchen and living room, remote controlled thermostats, CCTV system, hard-wired and wireless internet network, and Lutron lighting throughout the space. The whole system would be controlled using a Control4 central touch-screen panel, as well as software on our ipads/iphones, allowing us to control the systems when away from home.

It all sounds great - the problem is - it's not particularly cheap. The final cost is likely to be around 15% of the total ground floor refurbishment/extension. We are trying to determine if it's worth spending the money. Do these kind of systems really add value and useability to your home? Would certain buyers be put off? Does anyone have these systems in their own home, and what are your experiences?

MrsJamin Tue 25-Feb-14 17:40:24

That sounds very expensive and not very necessary. We are making sure we have speaker cable to ceiling speakers and network cable, and we already have a tado system to control the thermostat. But I don't think you need to control all this through one system? Unless you're a millionaire and don't have anything better to spend money on like a great oven, lovely worktop or fabulous sofa?!

wonkylegs Tue 25-Feb-14 18:26:36

We have network cable throughout, media server & household wireless music system. We've fitted it as part of our refurbishment of our Victorian house.
We did consider doing more but it's not a priority and we'd rather spend money on nicer kitchen, nicer windows etc.
It's also a tricky house to do stuff to; period details, thick walls and requires a bit more care than a bog standard box.
We only did the work because we wanted it, I don't think they add value as such.

LondonGirl83 Tue 25-Feb-14 18:30:08

I don't think it will add any value but if you like it and will enjoy using it then that's great. I am not a huge fan of too many hi-tech gizmos on a house though so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

OnePlanOnHouzz Tue 25-Feb-14 18:57:32

This sort of technology gets superseded very quickly - so only invest so much if you intend to sell very quickly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now