Talk

Advanced search

sourcing a fitted kitchen from several suppliers?

(8 Posts)
MissWing Tue 25-Feb-14 13:00:06

Hi gang

I have got a quote for a mereway kitchen (lincoln painted, colour: willow or fennel green tbc), with white engineered stone worktop and only a couple of appliances.

The quote is for �10k which is too much (by about �4k). So I'm now looking at sourcing each bit separately from the cheapest supplier. So far it's looking good, �700 off the units from another showroom, �1,000 off the stone by going directly to the supplier.

Then ask my builder to fit.

My first question is- am I running a big risk that if it doesn't all fit together properly no-one will take responsibility (as it will be my fault)? I'm hoping that if i get them to come and template the stone then that removes some of the risk there...

My second question is: any good ideas where to source the sink and taps?

Also, am I crazy getting a stone worktop in pure, icy white? (I already understand that I can never use tumeric again and red wine will be banished from the premises)

big thanks in advance

JaneBabez2014 Thu 27-Feb-14 15:38:28

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

JaneBabez2014 Thu 27-Feb-14 15:39:48

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

OnePlanOnHouzz Sun 02-Mar-14 16:27:32

Hi - you are brave to do it all yourself as multiple suppliers will each blame the other if there's a problem !!

The best advice I can offer is to get as all the cabinets and appliances on site - checked for damages etc -before the installer arrives !

pure white corian is a good option for an easy to keep clean worktop - as it's a bit more stain fixable ( a light sanding with abrasive cleaner like Ajax gets rid of pretty much any stains ) ?! Might be over budget though ?!
You can usually get a worksurface fabricator in to template and install after the cabinets are fitted -( there will be a time delay though - have you got some temporary worksurface in mind ?)

Shopping around is always a good idea ! Some worktop suppliers can quote for sinks too ! If you go on Mereway's website you can find all the local dealers close enough to supply and see who will do the best deal ! I assume you already have the design done ?

MissWing Sun 02-Mar-14 18:55:28

Hi OnePlan

Excellent tip re: checking for damage before fitting commences. It hadn't even occoured to me to think of a temporary worktop. Although we are using a bit of an improvised kitchen at the moment so we are now used to roughing it!

Also like the thought of getting the worktop supplier to do the sink too- that way at least those two elements join up!

Thanks again

bigbadbarry Sun 02-Mar-14 19:01:13

I got my sink from eBay

OnePlanOnHouzz Sun 02-Mar-14 19:22:44

No worries ! It's can be a bit like doing a rubiks cube !! Not always as easy as you think ! Lots of thinking ahead !!! Will be worth it when it's all done though ! :-)

MissWing Fri 07-Mar-14 15:58:06

OK ebay for sinks. Thanks OnePlan. I am hoping the rewards will be rich indeed

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now