Talk

Advanced search

Bedrooms, bathrooms, broomsticks

(5 Posts)
mayofanatic Tue 25-Feb-14 10:17:59

Qs - how important is a master ensuite? Can small children happily live in small rooms in the loft? Is a large loft room wasted space as a guest room?

We're renovating a victorian terraced house in London. Original plan was to keep 3 double bedrooms (large master and 2 smaller doubles) and 1 large shower room on the first floor, small family bathroom and small double on the second floor, and to create a large bedroom with ensuite shower room in the loft.

Visiting our neighbour has put a cat among the pigeons! She has turned the large 2nd bedroom on the first floor into a walk in wardrobe and large master ensuite. The back bedroom on the first floor is now larger and has a small ensuite shower room. The loft has lost its shower room and is now carved into two small kids rooms (one with the eves) which share the small family bathroom with the small double on the second floor.

We need to make a decision ASAP! We have one 9 month old and would like another child soon. We're not planning to live in the house forever - maybe another 6 or 7 years - but you never know what the future holds. We may get an au pair when I go back to work. Or maybe not!! We don't often have guests, but when we do it would be nice for them to have their own bathroom (i.e. keep my bifocaled mother from wandering the house in her nightie).

I'm losing my mind trying to make sure I make the right decision!

OnePlanOnHouzz Tue 25-Feb-14 11:09:27

lol ! loving that last image !! you wouldn't want a beautiful au pair wandering around in her nightie either !!!
sit down together with your other half and go through what would work best for you as a family - you neighbour may have a clothes buying compulsion that needs a walk in wardrobe - she might not have visitors ! look at maybe combining rooms if it's an option - ie pull out bed in a playroom could be a guest room ? also consider playrooms far away upstairs arnt alway practice with really small children ! it needs methodical thinking that's relevant to your specific circumstances !

OnePlanOnHouzz Tue 25-Feb-14 11:10:25

* practice not practice !!

OnePlanOnHouzz Tue 25-Feb-14 11:10:51

bloody phone ! PRACTICAL

mayofanatic Tue 25-Feb-14 12:09:40

We are lucky and will have a large area in the kitchen where kids will be able to play. I guess my hesitation is around losing a large double and turning it into an ensuite - I've never had one and don't know how I'll feel about it - it might change my life! Also, turning the loft from one big room into two mini ones - but seems a shame to have such a big room as a spare that's rarely used.

My poor builder is losing patience :-(

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now