Talk

Advanced search

Private let advice

(13 Posts)
Mitsi10 Tue 25-Feb-14 08:45:01

I'm due my first periodic inspection on a house I'm renting from a letting agent only been in a month but I have been told from others who are renting that it's too early for them to do a inspection is this true?
Also what are they looking for and will they tell you there and then?

I've been reading through my lease as still not 100% happy with the property (looked nice when I viewed it but now finding faults and seems too small for what I was looking for) I'm happy I've moved out just I feel I should have waited longer for a house that's the perfect size for us

I'm currently waiting on a council house etc due to family circumstances have changed and need to be closer to parents. I know I'm stuck here till my lease ends in jan again

Plus one more thing I'm a short assured tenancy was told there usually for 6 months but mines a year is that right and will it be a year again IF I stay after jan?

All advice welcome as I'm new to renting lol x

specialsubject Tue 25-Feb-14 09:52:33

so it appears! :-)

the size of the house is as you viewed it. You certainly can't break the lease for that. What are the faults? The landlord should maintain it but (for instance) if it only had single glazing when you moved in, no point complaining that it is a bit cold.

as for the inspection; it is to make sure all is well with the property, and that you are treating it in a 'tenant like' manner. Tenants don't always notice or report things such as leaking gutters, which is the reason for the first check. The reason for the second check is to make sure you aren't letting food pile up and getting rats, or growing cannabis. If you live like a normal human being you'll have no problems. You don't even have to tidy up if you don't want to.

the minimum period for a short-hold tenancy is six months. If you signed a lease to commit to a year, that's what you are committed to. After it expires, if nothing is done you go on to a month's notice from you (two from the landlord).

Quagmiretwins Tue 25-Feb-14 09:54:41

You may have the opportunity to terminate at the 6 month stage - check the documentation carefully.

Mitsi10 Tue 25-Feb-14 11:13:28

I'm taking the lease the the citizens advice during the week to get it checked over just so I know what will happen if I'm offered a council house while I'm still in this one

Yeah it's just one of those things but there was no letting agent there to show around the house was left up the previous tenant although it states in the lease there is supposed to be one there

See what happens over the next few months and once I've been to the CAB

specialsubject Tue 25-Feb-14 11:47:48

'supposed to be one there'. One what?

Mitsi10 Tue 25-Feb-14 11:58:57

Sorry says on the lease there is supposed to be a letting agent there when the property is to be let so when I viewed this place was no agent so when I move there should be someone here to show new tenants about think I've got it right now lol minds all over the place just now so excuse any mistakes lol

TantrumsAndBalloons Tue 25-Feb-14 12:04:55

If you are offered a council house within the years lease then you will still be liable for the whole year wont you? I dont think you can just break the lease because you are offered a council house?

TantrumsAndBalloons Tue 25-Feb-14 12:05:26

who showed you around the property if it wasnt the letting agent?

ChunkyPickle Tue 25-Feb-14 12:11:06

Where I am contracts are generally for a year, but where my house is that I rent out 6 months is the norm, so I think it depends on where you are in the country.

Once your contract is up, you technically go onto a rolling contract. In practise the agent will try and get you to pay a fee for another year's contract (this is one of the places the agents make their money) - just make sure that you have a break clause in that new contract (eg. I have to give 2 months notice, as does the landlord) so you can move out when you need to.

Depending on the landlord/agent they may let you move out sooner if they can find tenants to take over the property - I've let tenants break their contract early and only pay partial on the last month because we've found new tenants easily, and I know that my current landlord did this for the last tenants of where I'm living now when we took the place.

Mitsi10 Tue 25-Feb-14 14:52:36

If I have to move out I have to give at least 2 months notice
We just walked about the house the previous tenant was in and let us walk about I've viewed flats and houses before and there was always either a landlord or letting agent present this time was different

I'm taking the lease to get looked at that way I know where I stand

HaveToWearHeels Tue 25-Feb-14 22:03:01

Not sure what you expect the CAB to tell you ?. You have signed a years AST, you signed this willingly (I presume) therefore you are liable for a year. If you have a 6 month break clause this will be clearly visable in the agreement. If you have signed for 12 months with no break clause, then two months before the end of the tenancy give your LL notice of your intention to leave at the end of the agreement.
If you wish to leave before the 12 months and have no break clause, then you will be liable for rent up until the fixed term. The CAB have no way of getting you out of this, AST's are there to protect both tenant and LL.
Take a look here AND here

Dinosaursareextinct Tue 25-Feb-14 23:13:21

What about if you leave early? Doesn't the landlord have to mitigate his loss by looking for a new tenant to pay the rent? If they find a new tenant soon, they will have suffered very little loss and won't be able to sue you for much. Is that correct, HaveTo?

HaveToWearHeels Wed 26-Feb-14 08:48:13

Dinosaur you can "leave" when ever you like, however the tenancy is still in place for the period you have signed for therefore the rent must still be paid. Unless of course the LL agrees otherwise.
This is stated here

Ending a tenancy early
"Unless there’s a break clause in your tenancy agreement, your landlord can insist you pay rent until the end of the tenancy."

and also from the "Shelter" website
"If you have a fixed term tenancy with a private landlord and you want to leave before it’s due to end, your landlord can insist that you keep paying rent for the full length of the tenancy. You can’t simply end it by giving notice.

There are some exceptions, for example if your tenancy agreement contains a break clause that allows either side to end the agreement before the end of the fixed term.

Some landlords might be prepared to negotiate if you need to end the tenancy early, but they are under no obligation to do so.!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now