Talk

Advanced search

Would you buy an ugly house?

(38 Posts)
tangyyoghurt Tue 25-Feb-14 04:10:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Gigondas Tue 25-Feb-14 07:04:38

Layout- you can put character and love into a house as you decorate it , live and love in it.

Living in older home may offer charm but being limited by age of house and possibly planning restricted if it's in a conservation area or limited is a headache.

Your home needs to be a place to live for your family and their needs. I think living space and outdoor space after living near the equator over something that may be more picture worthy.

LeMousquetaireAnonyme Tue 25-Feb-14 07:08:55

Layout always. How much time are you going to spend standing outside looking at your house?

FlyLikeABird Tue 25-Feb-14 07:09:39

We went for ugly but good space and size. We've already improved the front driveway so it's not so meh to look at (it's added value too). I'm still not charmed by the place but I can see the benefits as opposed to a character property.

There are plenty of exterior transformation companies. Even popping on a porch or planting some climbers would alter the boxiness quite easily.

At the end of the day I barely notice the exterior now but I do appreciate the interior space and light (from the big 60s windows).

Bunbaker Tue 25-Feb-14 07:11:37

How much time are you going to stand outside your house looking at it compared to actually living inside?

Our house looks boring from outside, but is warm, welcoming and homely inside. So it's internal layout for me every time.

tunnocksteacake Tue 25-Feb-14 07:12:50

wonkylegs Tue 25-Feb-14 07:14:08

Depends - if it had the bones for a facelift : Good neighbouring buildings, good plot, good layout, size or potential inside and was priced accordingly, then Yes.
We looked at some 60's houses with this in mind, I think crucially they were one offs with beautiful neighbours, good plots in beautiful villages.
I am also an architect so I wouldn't need to spend fees on getting somebody else in to draw up changes & had a few key ideas of what could be done when we first looked at them so spotting potential was easy enough.
We ended up finding a Victorian semi which required a lot renovation instead though, priced accordingly and I am currently making that into our dream home.

justsodamntired Tue 25-Feb-14 07:14:47

We went for character but if I was looking again I'd reconsider. Not just for the space but because older houses cost so much more to maintain.

We have a fairly ugly house - built by the forestry commission in the 50s. It's not very pretty to look at. But it has a huge garden, amazing views, good layout, lots of light, and it's warm and dry. And to be pragmatic about it, the average house price in the area is £200k more than we spent so our budget dictated really. We have extended too back and side two storeys (unlikely to find an older house where we could easily do this, here anyway)

I grew up in a gorgeous Victorian detached which was cold and draughty and DH in a much older chocolate box cottage which was cold, damp and draughty and this has shaped our thinking for sure.

But I do envy those with pretty houses - warm, dry and draught free pretty houses the most! There is something to be said for kerb appeal and coming home to an attractive house. But on balance, I would prioritise the inside every time.

GeeinItLaldy Tue 25-Feb-14 07:27:27

I'm having the same dilemma. Whether to but the pretty period house which is already at the top of our budget and still needs work or the cheaper and rather ugly house , closer to work. Head says ugly house is far more practical but my heart wants the beautiful cold, draughty period place.

HerGraciousMajTheBeardedPotato Tue 25-Feb-14 07:30:54

Style is bottom of my list every time. Both times I have bought a home I have bought a boring, characterless, box in a good location, with large rooms in a good layout, big windows, large garden, and lots of potential.

That's not to say I don't dream of a Victorian or Edwardian pile, oozing character - and no doubt bills, too!

tangyyoghurt Tue 25-Feb-14 07:42:25

VivaLeBeaver Tue 25-Feb-14 07:53:56

I'd take space over outside character any day.

Kirsty Allsop once said it's better to live in the ugly house looking out at the nice houses than live in the pretty house looking out at the ugly house.

You can give it character inside.

PoorOldCat Tue 25-Feb-14 08:19:24

It depends how ugly. If it really was ugly then no. If it was brilliantly designed and looked and felt nice, then yes to modern.

Beauty comes from functionality, thought and care and intelligent design quite often.

PoorOldCat Tue 25-Feb-14 08:20:42

Saying that beauty can come from all sorts of things.

Terence Conran is very good on this. Sun rising over an orchard out the back window, established garden, a view - and old windows that are a bit imperfect, and in lovely proportions, can also make you feel great.

Preciousbane Tue 25-Feb-14 08:33:09

expatinscotland Tue 25-Feb-14 08:38:05

The inside is where you will live.

bettybyebye Tue 25-Feb-14 08:47:11

We bought a 1960's dormer bungalow last year which is probably really ugly from the outside to most people. However the inside space is huge, layout works really well, huge big windows so lots of light, and, crucially it's about 30m2 bigger than the "prettier" houses we looked at, for about £20k less!

Really happy here and can't see us outgrowing this house for a long time

TheArticFunky Tue 25-Feb-14 08:48:06

I agree that layout is more important.

10 years ago there was a huge snobbery against newer homes. Nowadays prices are so high that everyone realises how lucky they are to own any home and that snobbery seems to be going.

FloppyPoppyCocky Tue 25-Feb-14 08:50:54

We put an offer in on one of the ugliest houses I have ever seen. I mean seriously ugly. Unfortunately they took it off the market. Was fabulous inside!

WhatWillSantaBring Tue 25-Feb-14 08:51:26

We chose space over character as there is about a ££100k difference round here. Though I we did go for a one off rather than an estate/ cul de sac house.

I Looked at this website for inspiration here and it gave me the confidence to go ahead with the ugly one. The transformation process has started with new windows - still uPvc but that look like wood and with cottage style glazing bars.

zoemaguire Tue 25-Feb-14 08:53:21

We live in Victorian terrace which is very beautiful on outside. Most of the housing round here is Victorian, and though I love our house,given the choice I'd have gone for 50s or 60s house with the big boxy rooms and huge windows. Less quirky but can look surpassingly beautiful inside if done right.

tangyyoghurt Tue 25-Feb-14 10:24:03

OnePlanOnHouzz Tue 25-Feb-14 10:30:49

even the ugliest house can be made into a charming home if it's got the right family inside it !!! sound like you have some beautiful items to cheer up an otherwise overlooked and unloved home !! :-)

perfectstorm Tue 25-Feb-14 11:17:00

Layout, every time. A house needs to work for the family and you stop noticing character after a while. I went to boarding school and a good friend lived in a stately home. Proper mansion with Palladian columns and painted ceilings in the main reception rooms. I remember realising, in total shock, that we were slumped on the sofa eating crisps one weekend, and I didn't even notice the setting. My own home was a 2 up 2 down where the roof leaked (single mum - I was on a scholarship). But you get used to your surroundings, and take them for granted, unless they are properly irritating and make life harder than it needs to be. I'm sure there would be moments when your heart would sing, driving up to somewhere gorgeous. It's just that there would be many more where your heart would sink as you tried to manage living in a house that just didn't work for your family, no matter how pretty. My friend's father was lucky enough not to have to make such compromises, but almost everyone else does have to.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now