Talk

Advanced search

Wood/multi fuel Burner - worth it if may sell in couple of years?

(9 Posts)
curiousparent Mon 24-Feb-14 11:10:03

A couple of years ago we did an extension and at the time took out our gas fire, intending to get a new fire put in when we could get round to choosing but haven't so far.

I would really love a wood burner stove, but because we may sell in a couple of years am not sure spending so much money is worth it or not?

The problem is that the living room currently looks soul-less and really lets down the rest of the house. I intend to re-decorate anyway and am thinking that now would be the time to get the woodburner fitted. I am hoping that a wood burner would either make the house more saleable or possibly even add a couple of grand to what it would sell for.

Would be interested in others opinions!

tobiasfunke Mon 24-Feb-14 11:20:39

I'm not sure it will add any extra money to your house in itself. However if your livingroom looks a lot better then that might up the price a bit and would definitely attract more buyers. You'll save yourself some money on the heating in the meantime. Go for a cheaper model and that'll save you some ££.
We have 2 woodburners and I know they divide opinion. Most people love them but some really don't.

curiousparent Mon 24-Feb-14 11:24:40

Thanks for your response. I am not looking for a big increase but just hoping that it may just pay for itself really. I definitely think it would make it more desirable so hopefully whilst it may not necessarily add lots of asking price it may just be easier to get nearer to the asking price iyswim?

TunipTheUnconquerable Mon 24-Feb-14 13:09:52

I got mine last year and am moving soon, but the estate agent put an enormous photo of the woodburner in the specs so I think it will help.
If your living room is what's letting down the rest of the house then definitely, go for it!

specialsubject Mon 24-Feb-14 13:15:11

just a reminder to make sure it is a HETAS installer and that you get your certificate.

also that you have a place for the wood/coal.

tobiasfunke Tue 25-Feb-14 12:13:17

Do it then. I have ours on in the kitchen this morning as it's bloody freezing and it makes me so happy.

curiousparent Wed 26-Feb-14 06:24:42

Thanks everyone. Have contacted HETAS engineer to come and have a look to see if I can have one as we have a pre cast flue so have to see how it could be done.

MrsJohnDeere Wed 26-Feb-14 07:37:57

Yes, definitely do it! We didn't have one in our old house (there was nowhere it could go) and time and time again it came up as a reason people who otherwise liked the house didn't put in offers.

BrownSauceSandwich Wed 26-Feb-14 08:13:19

Get a quote, and balance that up against a couple of years pleasure in having it, and potential improvement in the saleability of the house. We're probably talking about £100/month on average over two years.

Don't assume you'll save on fuel costs unless you have a free supply of suitable wood AND the space and patience to season it properly (which takes a good year IME). Seasoned or kiln dried wood costs a bit of money. As for saleability, the stove could be a factor, but only if there aren't other weak points. If the windows are really bad, or the roof is damaged, that's what people will grade your house by.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now