Talk

Advanced search

What to do with these windows? Curtains aren't working.

(26 Posts)
HauntedNoddyCar Sun 23-Feb-14 14:56:50

New (to us) house.
Our bedroom has two small windows. About a metre square each. It's a big room and consequently quite dark. Not a big problem but I would like to maximize the light.
The difficulty is that the ceiling slopes down around the windows so that we can't put track or poles outside the recess because they'd hang 6 inches clear from halfway down. A rail inside means that curtains don't go back very far, reducing the light.
Blinds feel a bit sterile for a bedroom.

Anyone good at this stuff? We are usually wood poles and warm tones people.

ShatnersBassoon Sun 23-Feb-14 15:01:23

Roman blinds no good?

HauntedNoddyCar Sun 23-Feb-14 15:06:44

I think we'd have too much obscuring the window when they were retracted.

Thank you for replying though!

namechange74 Sun 23-Feb-14 15:15:43

vintage lace pulled taut top and bottom?

FamiliesShareGerms Sun 23-Feb-14 15:16:02

Shutters?

MargotLovedTom Sun 23-Feb-14 15:17:43

I can't visualise what you mean. Any chance of a photo?

FamiliesShareGerms Sun 23-Feb-14 15:21:14

Google "plantation shutters" for lots

FamiliesShareGerms Sun 23-Feb-14 15:25:50

Sorry, posted too soon...

Google "plantation shutters" for lots of ideas. Because they are made to measure they should fit in your unusual window recess. You can put "mock" curtains up too if you think it looks too stark without any fabric up (personally I like the clean look, but I know lots of people aren't keen for a bedroom). If you use tie backs that would hold them flush to the wall, I think? (If I'm imagining your house correctly!)

iggymama Sun 23-Feb-14 15:32:11

I am struggling to visualize the wall shape, but I wonder if portiere style poles would work. They are meant for door curtains but I was thinking you could swing them away from the window in daytime.

MyNameIsKenAdams Sun 23-Feb-14 15:35:42

http://www.fionacampbelldesign.co.uk/curtains-blinds/curtain-design-london/attachment/curtains-swing-arm-for-dormer-window/

Curtains on a swing arm?

MyNameIsKenAdams Sun 23-Feb-14 15:37:53

www.fionacampbelldesign.co.uk/curtains-blinds/curtain-design-london/attachment/curtains-swing-arm-for-dormer-window/

shash1982 Sun 23-Feb-14 15:41:30

Voile curtains with tiebacks?That's what we have just to soften the blinds on the windows. There unobtrusive & don't seem to affect the light coming through.

BrownSauceSandwich Sun 23-Feb-14 15:51:13

If it were me, I'd look at shutters, but they'd need to fold right back from the embrasure, or roller blinds. A friend has recently had rollers made up in a beautiful fine tweed... Not at all sterile when they're closed, and barely noticeable when open. Get them blackout lined for summer sunrises, and to improve the longevity of your chosen fabric.

HauntedNoddyCar Sun 23-Feb-14 16:06:37

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/_chat/2006507-Ignore-this-its-a-picture-for-another-thread

There's a pic here ^^.

I did wonder about shutters but when open they'd stick out the bottom which might look mad and it's an expensive mistake.

Roller blind with some voile is possible except I don't know how to say voile!

HauntedNoddyCar Sun 23-Feb-14 16:07:02

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/_chat/2006507-Ignore-this-its-a-picture-for-another-thread

HauntedNoddyCar Sun 23-Feb-14 16:09:30

Would have to do measuring on swing arm. Looks genius but would almost certainly swing out too far.

PolterGoose Sun 23-Feb-14 16:37:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

7to25 Sun 23-Feb-14 17:48:23

OK, the "official" way to dress these windows is to have a track or pole outside the recess so that curtains can be pulled back from the glass and also have a second pole fixed at the bend of the window, straight across with no rings or fixtures. The curtains are tucked behind this pole; all the time, whether closed or open. This works between with floor length curtains.

HauntedNoddyCar Sun 23-Feb-14 18:34:07

Polter I did consider something like that but it still leaves a lot of fabric obscuring the glass.

7to25 That was the only curtain based solution I could imagine working but wasn't sure if that would be outlandish. If it's official though then I am reassured. Is there a secret manual somewhere that tells you this stuff? smile

neepsandtatties Sun 23-Feb-14 18:40:46

Roman blinds for a bedroom definitely aren't sterile, but the problem you will have is the same as the curtains, the blind when retracted will block out light. However, you can get roman blinds made which instead of having a cascade (i.e. you see an inch or so of each panel when they are pulled up) the panels instead stack up behind each other so you only lose 1 panel worth of light. And I think if you requested it, you could have those panels very shallow (as it is a small window).

See this link here, appears they are called 'regular pockets'

www.romansdirect.co.uk/designoptions.php

You would barely lose any light using that method.

Alternatively, you can get this style of roller blind made (top middle image]:

www.housedecorltd.co.uk/maritime-prints-fabric-collection----clarke--clarke-555-c.asp

7to25 Sun 23-Feb-14 19:53:02

Don't know about a secret manual, but it is what I learned, many many years ago when there weren't as many "technical" solutions as there are now.
I have only seen it in action once and it looked quaint (in a cottage)

Liara Sun 23-Feb-14 19:58:55

I have something similar, I have roller blinds which don't obscure the glass when open.

I was thinking about replacing it with curtains on a swing pole, as I think that would look nicer.

Catsmamma Sun 23-Feb-14 19:59:01

I'd go with blinds....wide slat venetians, big gaps for lots of light and soft lace or voiles, maybe sari fabric to soften the look

get the blinds the proper depth and you won't have a big pile of slats at the bottom of the window blocking light, and likewise if they are fully up.

TheAuthoress Sun 23-Feb-14 20:33:07

What about a bay window curtain pole, then the curtains can be pulled right round to the sides when they are open.

There's a nice looking example on very.co.uk - Buckingham 28mm bay window curtain pole. Sorry, don't know how to link on the ipad!!

TheAuthoress Sun 23-Feb-14 20:37:53

www.wilko.com/curtain-track+accessories/wilko-curtain-pole-bay-window-metal-black-420cm/invt/0232215

Or like this? Figured out how to link! You could also use the matching tie back thingies to keep the curtains out of the way.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now