Talk

Advanced search

Moving to epsom

(16 Posts)
Threekidsandcounting Sun 23-Feb-14 09:42:36

I'm in the process of looking for a place for my family in epsom. Naturally not being a local I have no clue where to avoid. The pricing confuses me for instance we found a nice flat on Christ mount gardens (4 bed) 325k whereas another flat which on paper does not look as good (worple road). This led me to question that either one was overpriced or that something was wrong with the other.
I've heard (by the estate agent) that longmead and watersedge are to be avoided but could not find long mead on the map (only longmead road). Our max budget is 350k so I think we are limited to flats and maisonettes. We just wanted to find one that was not in a dangerous area. Any ideas?

LornaDoone1 Sun 23-Feb-14 11:17:50

We've recently moved to Epsom. Worple Road area is very desirable so it's quite pricey. Lots of lovely old houses and a short walk into town. College Road area is very nice too. I think the other area you've mentioned is fine, if it's where I think it is it's close to Stamford Green which is lovely (and a really good primary school). Hopefully someone will be over with some more info! Yes the area around Longmead Road seems to have a bit of a reputation.

Threekidsandcounting Sun 23-Feb-14 11:58:15

Thanks Lornadoone. Really helpful info! Yes I think it is indeed near Stanford green :-) Just out of interest what led you guys to Epsom? We looked at the surrounding areas like cheam and chessington but for some reason they seemed less well cared for. We are moving from Kent so quite a big change ;-)

LornaDoone1 Sun 23-Feb-14 12:48:18

Epsom ticked the boxes on paper. We needed to live near the M25, 40 min journey to Waterloo for DP, more affordable than the other places we were considering, good parks, good schools, green spaces and conservation areas. The town centre isnt the prettiest but it's got everything you need and is always busy. We really like it here. Hope that helps!

likeaboss Sun 23-Feb-14 14:50:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Threekidsandcounting Sun 23-Feb-14 20:39:18

Thanks likeaboss and lornadoon1!

The funny thing is that another estate agent is dying for us to see this "amazing" property just off longmead rd (Gibraltar crescent). You're right. It did not look too appealing with the industrial estate just round the corner.

How about to the left of dorking road (ebisham and castle road), we have a viewing there next week?! Apparently the property is an ex council property (30 years ago lol).

Im unsure yet whether I'll be driving to work or taking the train. Only time will tell.

Any ideas about good and bad (primary) schools?

Exciting times!

PatriciaHolm Sun 23-Feb-14 21:23:14

None of the primary schools here are bad, tbh. Some are more in demand and some less, but by the standards of most of the UK none are particularly bad. Properties around Christ Church mount sustain a premium because of Stamford Green primary. How old are the children?

Threekidsandcounting Sun 23-Feb-14 21:40:14

Thanks Patriciaholm,

Phew! That's good to hear! The youngest is 3, the middle girl is 5 and the eldest is 6 (7 in May). How old are your kids? Is there a lot for them to do (holidays etc)?

I was actually thinking that the flats at Christchurch seemed underpriced considering?! What is the demographic like there? We're kind of hoping for young professionals with families. Where we live now is primarily older folk (lovely as they are) and singletons.

PatriciaHolm Sun 23-Feb-14 23:00:49

Ours are 7 & 9 and yes loads to do! Plenty of families around, it's a very popular place to do the classic "move out of London for a bigger house and good schools and still commute" thing.

LornaDoone1 Mon 24-Feb-14 08:13:57

Also, just to echo likeaboss on how safe Epsom is. I've walked home alone from the station at 11pm and not felt threatened in any way (unlike many places we've lived).

Threekidsandcounting Mon 24-Feb-14 09:23:51

Patricaholm/ lornadoone1,

I think we are pretty much set on Epsom. Definitely moving for the bigger property and safety. Another question I have is about the diversity in Epsom. We are a mixed race couple and are keen to settle our children in an environment in which they would not be subject to abuse (as unfortunately was the case in Kent).

We are due to see a few properties on Saturday (I will aim to feed back our findings, concerns etc then ;-)

LornaDoone1 Mon 24-Feb-14 18:04:23

Sorry to hear your children were subject to abuse. Some friends of ours were thinking of moving to Epsom but decided not to as they didn't feel it was as culturally diverse as they wanted (that said, they live in a very diverse part of London). Epsom doesn't feel at all insular though - most of our neighbours are from different parts of the UK/other countries so maybe that's why.

Good luck with the viewings!

lambbone Mon 24-Feb-14 19:09:18

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-38882839.html

Or

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-45033056.html

Both in great locations, handy for the station and both more or less on top of St Martins infant and junior schools

PatriciaHolm Mon 24-Feb-14 21:47:24

immmm you would struggle to call Epsom culturally diverse, really. I've not heard of any incidents such as you describe though.

Threekidsandcounting Tue 25-Feb-14 00:00:33

Thanks Lambone, we are actually booked to see one of those properties on Saturday. Happy to know they are in a good location for schools :-)

Lornadoone1 - it seemed fairly diverse. when we walked through the town centre. We didn't get any weird looks which is always a good thing. It's no nottinghill granted but it's equally not Yorkshire ;-)

Patriciaholm - I guess we're not too bothered about the % of diversity. The most important thing is that ignorance is in the minority. Given that there are a lot of Londoners in epsom one would assume that this is the case.

likeaboss Tue 25-Feb-14 12:06:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now