Talk

Advanced search

Made to measure curtains

(10 Posts)
thegraduand Sun 23-Feb-14 09:19:03

Has anyone used any online made to measure curtain companies and could let me know who is good or who to avoid? We've had a quote from John Lewis which is eye watering, and just want to compare. We've picked a Harlequin fabric which seems to be widely available

MillyMollyMama Sun 23-Feb-14 10:27:54

I would never order on line because it will be your mistake if they are wrong. I would look around for a home furnishing company who stock Harlequin or a local person and see what they quote. We usually have several advertising in our local town newsletter. I have found them to be just as good but you may need to cut down on fullness of gathers or choose a fabric with no pattern repeat to help with cost. Curtains are just not cheap though!

snowgirl1 Sun 23-Feb-14 18:48:24

I've ordered curtains on-line from Alison Campbell soft furnishings. Quality is good, they had the fabric I wanted and the price was good. The also made me matching cushions for the sofa. Measure very carefully (isn't there a carpenter's saying measure three times, cut once?). I even made my husband check my measurements so that if anything did go wrong he couldn't put it down to me measuring inaccurately!

angelicfaces Mon 03-Apr-17 15:03:51

The Alison Campbell blackout roman blinds I ordered came with 7 ugly rows of fabric-destroying stitching ACROSS THE ENTIRE WIDTH OF THE BLINDS. The stitches not only ruin the fabric and presentation of the blinds, but they also let light in through the 'blackout blinds'.
The blackout blinds I ordered from campbellcreations.co.uk were of extremely poor workmanship quality and look like they were made by an amateur. The 5 blinds I ordered cost me nearly £1,500 in the Alison Campbell sale. I wish I had never come across cambellcreations.co.uk - ever. I have attached a picture of one of the blinds showing the 7 ugly rows of stitching. I hope this review helps.

JT05 Mon 03-Apr-17 15:58:32

Dunelm were great, half the price of JL and similar fabric, lining, and heading .

wowfudge Mon 03-Apr-17 16:02:56

Dunelm were crap for me - they overlocked the joins in lengths of fabric giving bulky seams which meant the curtains would hang properly. I got my money back, but the person in the sewing centre who dealt with my complaint couldn't have cared less and tried to fob me off. I went to a local independent in the end who also made me matching cushions from the offcuts for very little additional cost.

wowfudge Mon 03-Apr-17 16:03:16

Wouldn't hang properly

TranquilityofSolitude Mon 03-Apr-17 16:08:41

I've used this company in Leeds:

www.curtains-fabrics.co.uk/

I'm very happy with the curtains. Like you, I went to John Lewis and got a terrifying quote, so started to look elsewhere.

wowfudge Mon 03-Apr-17 16:14:49

Zombie thread added to by an unhappy poster....

chicka1 Tue 04-Apr-17 19:06:15

agree with the others. would go with a local independent. they will come and measure for you probably and they will have a reputation to uphold locally so more of a vested interest! ask around for good tips.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now