Talk

Advanced search

Patio Doors Dilemma!

(13 Posts)
camtt Sat 22-Feb-14 21:25:13

I need new patio doors (about 240cm wide, by 200cm high). The current aluminium windows are 25 - 30 years old, have poor security and, I expect, poor insulation (not that I know how to test that).

I really want to improve insulation in our hard to heat house, but perhaps the best feature of my house is the view over open country to the back, through these patio doors. So I don't want doors that get in the way of the view IYSWIM.

So, my builder is very keen on uPVC, says it offers the best insulation, and it is also cheapest. But it has quite wide frames. The section in the middle will be about 4inches, versus current 2inches.

I was going to go for aluminium, although it's quite a lot more expensive, but builder said the insulation of those doors only a 'C' compared with an 'A' for the uPVC, and the insulation is also an important factor.

Anybody able to help me make a decision? Am I overthinking the frame/view thing?

OnePlanOnHouzz Sat 22-Feb-14 21:29:51

you are spot on to think about the effect on the view ! you will be living with this for a long time - so worth spending a little more !!!

camtt Sat 22-Feb-14 21:38:30

yes, for the view I reckon aluminium - but the insulation then bothers me because that is also important!

MyNameIsKenAdams Sat 22-Feb-14 21:40:53

What about a whole glass screen that slides out of the way? Saw something on grand designs where it slid across the wall outside.

MyNameIsKenAdams Sat 22-Feb-14 21:44:50

scrapbook.channel4.com/programmes/grand-designs/bookmarks/series-9/episode-4

camtt Sat 22-Feb-14 21:52:23

they look good ken, but I think that's a bit outside of my budget unfortunately!

snailsontour Sun 23-Feb-14 17:18:13

I believe your builder is wrong.
As part of a major renovation project, we are getting 'A' Rated aluminium patio doors. Modern aluminium doors/windows have thermal breaks to assist in insulation and prevent cold spots and condensation.
My experience of builders is that whilst they have extensive knowledge of the building process, they are not always up to speed with the detail of what's available across the board. And as I am fast learning, the devil is in the detail!
That view is important, and I don't think it's possible to overthink!

camtt Mon 24-Feb-14 21:23:46

thanks snails, I like the sound of those 'A' rated doors, do you mind if I ask where you are getting them from?

Suttonmum1 Mon 24-Feb-14 21:32:51

Swiss or german made aluminium - their thermal breaks are great as they have more extreme weather than us. Try to see them in the flesh before you buy to appreciate the thickness of the bars and the gaskets. We looked at a number of difft ones at a homes show.

I also think that builders do not necc know what is available. Do your own research. I have newbuild extension with large aluminium bifold doors, and veluxes but it is still one of the warmest rooms in the house.

camtt Mon 24-Feb-14 21:50:02

thanks suttonmum. I have found some A rated examples online and emailed them to the builder to see what he thinks. I've looked at a few properties on right move to see what others in my area might have and the ones I like the look of best are still the aluminium ones.

snailsontour Tue 25-Feb-14 14:51:44

My doors are coming from John Knight Glass on the Wirral - I'll see if I can route out the manufacturers...

LanaStraightLeg Wed 26-Feb-14 00:26:44

We've just had aluminium bifolds put in our new extension and no one ever mentioned anything about heat loss, despite the fact that we had to have some thermal calculations done to satisfy building regs (also have two big roof lanterns). Our builder said they were much better than uPVC because they don't have the same tendency to buckle.

Ours are from CCS Ltd in Cannock.

camtt Wed 26-Feb-14 20:23:01

thanks everyone, I'm glad there seem to be some better options that I thought at first. My builder has gone back to his supplier to ask him to do a bit more homework!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now