Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Accommodation in Greenwich or similar

(12 Posts)
fruitqueen Sat 22-Feb-14 16:10:44

We are expatriates abroad and our son and daughter have been granted places to study at UCL and LSE in London. However, it's been a while since we have lived in UK and Central London isn't exactly the place I would have peace of mind for them to live in . after having visited it a few months back. I am considering of buying a flat in Greenwich or a similar place where it is safer for them. But a relative has voiced his concern over the distance of travel between Greenwich and central London- should I be concerned with this? Is it that far or time consuming to get into college on time say at peak hours?
Are there any similar places I could explore where transport is convenient into Central London and also affordable ? I heard of Walthamstow - how is that compared to Greenwich ?
I do not want to spend too much as I am not getting rentals for this purpose and my view is that the property prices are likely to increase and if it does, I would like to be able to dispose of my investment if necessary after we have no use for it, and renting 2 rooms in London for the duration of the course for 3 years would just be wasted.I have budgeted for nothing more than 250,000 pounds. I am not too sure whether this is realistic or not.
Any advice , anyone please?

Ubik1 Sat 22-Feb-14 16:15:02

The jubilee line is through Greenwich + DLR+ river taxi and trains to charing cross so don't worry about links to central london

Greenwich is lovely. V, posh and expensive now, not like when I was a child.

Ubik1 Sat 22-Feb-14 16:16:35

You could look at Lewisham - this also has he DLR/ trains to Charing X and nightbus goes through.

Amethyst24 Sat 22-Feb-14 16:22:25

If the OP thinks central London is too dodgy for their DC, I doubt Lewisham would hack it.

West Greenwich to London Bridge is about 10 minutes on the overground, or it connects to Bank via the DLR, which takes a bit longer. Alternatively, you could look at the Greenwich Peninsula, where there are loads of new-build apartments going up. It's pretty soulless but on the Jubilee Line.

If you do look at West Greenwich, bear in mind that the redevelopment of London Bridge means no more direct connection to Charing Cross and no interchange at L Bridge for a few years if not forever.

Greenwich nightlife is not that great, so chances are your kids will be doing their partying in town anyway.

fruitqueen Sat 22-Feb-14 16:23:57

How far would it take to travel though on the Jubilee form Greenwich to Central ?
Is Lewisham safe? And would I be able to get a decent place for 250K?

Amethyst24 Sat 22-Feb-14 16:25:55

Just seen your budget. You'll struggle to get a 2-bed apartment in Greenwich or indeed anywhere closer than zone 3 for that money.

Quick search found one (!) and it's in a horrible part of Greenwich in what looks like a bit of a dump of an estate. http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-45018731.html

Amethyst24 Sat 22-Feb-14 16:26:07

Sorry - www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-45018731.html

Amethyst24 Sat 22-Feb-14 16:27:33

East Greenwich to Bond Street takes about 20 minutes on the Jubilee Line. Lewisham is safe but it's a lot more insalubrious than central London.

Ubik1 Sat 22-Feb-14 16:28:17

Amethyst grin
spent some happy times in Lewisham - I thought it was all gentrified now?

OP - The thing about London is that the closer to central London the more expensive the property and 'closer' also means any area with a tube link.

You could look at Wimbledon or Balham - they are on the (dreaded) Northern Line or the East End.

Amethyst24 Sat 22-Feb-14 16:32:43

Ubik it's not unsafe at all, and it's got quite chichi is recent years, but the bit around the station in particular is still... ahem... vibrant and cosmopolitan.

I'd live there like a shot, I just doubt it's what the OP has in mind. hmm

fruitqueen Sat 22-Feb-14 17:02:06

Wimbledon looks affordable but there seems to be South Wimbledon and Wimbledon Park etc- which would be the better and more convenient area? Is it nicer than Greenwich?

fruitqueen Sat 22-Feb-14 17:03:14

I keep seeing this shared ownership scheme- what exactly is this?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now