Talk

Advanced search

which doors do I keep when I knock through?

(5 Posts)
lulubop1 Sat 22-Feb-14 08:45:18

I have a 3 bed semi. I'm planning on knocking through to my kitchen and also knocking down the wall between the lounge and dining room. I want the front room to become the lounge and the back room to be through from the kitchen. The front room is currently the smaller of the rooms but I want it to become the bigger section of the whole open plan. however, I'm unsure which doors to keep and which to close. Can I keep just the middle door or do I need to have 2 separate entrances.

HSMMaCM Sat 22-Feb-14 08:48:11

We kept all our doors when we did this. The living and dining room doors lead onto the hall. The kitchen door led onto the end of a corridor and we made it into a cupboard.

PigletJohn Sat 22-Feb-14 16:48:12

open plan loses more heat. If you are open to the staircase the warm air will all rush upstairs.

if the cooking area is open plan, the cooking smells will spread.

OnePlanOnHouzz Sat 22-Feb-14 16:58:33

you need to keep the stairs safe with a door - ideally a fire door - as this may be your only means of escape from upstairs in the event of a fire !

FunkyBoldRibena Sat 22-Feb-14 17:16:00

What does your structural engineer/surveyor/planning dept recommend?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now