Talk

Advanced search

Is there a thinner frame for UPVC windows

(24 Posts)
PattyMcGinty Fri 21-Feb-14 23:06:27

or are they all the same?

Just had a salesman round and the window frames he was selling were so big. He said they were all the same nowadays because of data protection/health and safety. (The last bit's a lie but I expected him to say that)

InsertUsernameHere Sat 22-Feb-14 07:50:58

Data protection - now that has given me a giggle.

I think the thickness of the frame is maybe a function of the double glazing as well as the uPVC ness . Our new wooden double glazed windows have thicker frames than the originals. I could believe it is something to do with the ratio between thickness of the glazing unit and frame width. unlike the ridiculous claim re 'elf and safety

truelymadlysleepy Sat 22-Feb-14 08:01:17

We've just been through the windows saga. We're having some off the peg (wooden) with a chunkier frame than I'd choose but a joiner is making some with a finer frame. It definitely can be done.

neepsandtatties Sat 22-Feb-14 08:02:10

google 'slimline UPVC'. Also aluminuim double glazing tends to be lower profile too.

JillJ72 Sat 22-Feb-14 08:11:52

We have (a no-no) uPVC replacements for original aluminium double glazing, which will have replaced original sashes at the front ( we still have, and won't replace, sashes in the dining room and kitchen). I specified slim uPVC frames because I truly dislike the more-frame-than-window look. Our chap came up trumps - uPVC with slim frames, made by Rehau. Worth a look.

specialsubject Sat 22-Feb-14 17:30:42

data protection???

don't use that firm, he is making it up as he goes along.

mousmous Sat 22-Feb-14 17:35:16

it has to do with weight as well. double/triple glazing is heavy so the frame needs to be able to hold the weight.

PattyMcGinty Sun 23-Feb-14 14:55:55

Thanks all. Jill - could I ask a big favour...would you mind measuring the frame? I think I need to start taking measurements.

I'm now thinking of aluminium because it does seem they are slimmer - did you not like yours?

Has anyone else got experience of aluminium frame windows?

snailsontour Sun 23-Feb-14 16:41:24

We are close to playing an order for our new windows - part of a major renovation.
We have chose aluminium as we much prefer the slimmer profile you get, although we did see some upvc that are less clunky looking than the standard.

InsertUsernameHere Sun 23-Feb-14 20:19:27

I think one of the considerations for metal frames is the heat conduction/ cold bridging. I know when we had (quite old) metal windows there was always condensation on the frames. I presume the technology has come on a long way but I'd be interested to know what they do to manage it.

JillJ72 Sun 23-Feb-14 20:23:14

The alu frames we inherited were original 1980s, grey, and way past their best; they needed replacing. We didn't consider alu again (tbh didn't realise could still get alu!) - for us it was a choice of wood or uPVC and uPVC won for affordability reasons - and our surrounding neighbours are a mix of window styles so we don't stick out like a sore thumb!

I'll measure our frames and see if I can get a pic on here for you tomorrow.

PattyMcGinty Sun 23-Feb-14 21:44:47

Oh thank you JillJ72!

snailsontour Mon 24-Feb-14 09:54:20

Today's aluminium frames have thermal breaks fitted to improve insulation and prevent thermal bridging. The windows we are getting are A rated so are very thermal efficient, and look so much better imo to upvc.

wonkylegs Mon 24-Feb-14 10:02:57

Yep modern powder-coated aluminium windows are much much better than their old counterparts. You can get better rated aluminium windows than UPVC but they are likely to cost more. (They will also last longer)
Aluminium isn't always a slimline section though so its worth checking different systems.
Cheap UPVC is likely to have bigger sections as it's easier to make them stiff enough if they are fatter. Slimline versions are usually available in most window materials but as they have to be 'engineered' more they are usually cost more than the bog standard option.

InsertUsernameHere Mon 24-Feb-14 13:31:55

Thanks snails

JillJ72 Mon 24-Feb-14 17:46:11

Hi - from inside the outer frame width is 60mm, then the window frame itself (that sits inside the outer frame) is 50mm - so a total of 110mm.

JillJ72 Mon 24-Feb-14 18:14:01

I'll try loading a photo on my profile now...

JillJ72 Mon 24-Feb-14 18:43:57

.... Fail. I need to do this from a laptop as I am iPad unwieldy!

clio51 Mon 24-Feb-14 18:55:46

Hi

We had ours done in upvc 3 years ago. The are traditional windows like 4 panes on bottom and then 4 smaller panes on top with end windows opening.
The inner frames are thinner.

PattyMcGinty Mon 24-Feb-14 19:48:11

Thanks JillJ72 - DH is wandering about measuring window frames just now. I actually went in to a shop today who sold Rehau Total 70. They've given me a brochure home so we're studying it just now.

PattyMcGinty Mon 24-Feb-14 19:48:34

Jill ( would still appreciate a photo if you have time)

JillJ72 Mon 24-Feb-14 20:36:49

I need a glass of wine! Does this work....

imageshack.com/a/img812/2136/gqqm.jpg

PattyMcGinty Tue 25-Feb-14 11:42:13

It does! Thanks a lot. Your windows look great and I wouldn't have known they were UPVC. Cheers.

JillJ72 Tue 25-Feb-14 19:30:16

Excellent! Ours are c-rated (as our house will not win energy rating awards) but have made a big difference in terms of noise reduction and warmth - when we get the hot/cold collision from outside/inside, the outer window gets condensation - pretty cool for c-rating!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now