Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Painting over wallpaper

(7 Posts)
kiwidreamer Fri 21-Feb-14 17:27:12

Our new rental has hideous wallpaper in the lounge and dinning room --all over the house to be honest but these rooms are beyond dire-- landlord has said we can paint over.

One room is embossed wallpaper which is fine to paint over but the other room the paper has a slightly glossy/shiney tint - can this be painted over does anyone know.

To be honest NOTHING could be worse than the current paper so I'm not sure how we can ruin it!!!!!

OnePlanOnHouzz Fri 21-Feb-14 19:03:22

I've painted over a shiny paper before - was no problem !

Nyancat Fri 21-Feb-14 19:04:48

I did, turned out grand. just put a.couple.of.coats of emulsion on.it

gamerchick Fri 21-Feb-14 19:05:58

Well you'll be using silk emulsion on it anyway which is quite the sheen to it. it'll be fine.

addictedtosugar Fri 21-Feb-14 19:15:27

Yep, I've painted over some flat, slightly glossy, rather bold patterns.
I used the B&Q one coat stuff, and put several coats on.
No idea now, but 10 years ago, the B&Q own brand onecoat was the best for covering patterns (best hiding power, yes, I worked in a place that tested such things). No idea who has improver the most since tho, and its like putting on plaster.

kiwidreamer Fri 21-Feb-14 20:05:20

Excellent I shall take my extensive research and my 100% sample group approval and run with it grin

deste Fri 21-Feb-14 20:12:34

I once read that if you put a dash of liquid soap into the paint it helps to cover the paper.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now