Talk

Advanced search

Where can I get a really long bath?

(14 Posts)
PoorOldCat Thu 20-Feb-14 20:09:59

Looking for a 'new' bath (doesn't have to be new, old will do!) for our new big bathroom (ok, bigger than the one we have now!) and I would really like it to have space for all three children in it.

I've seen some lovely old 60s ones on ebay - up to about 6ft, which would be cool. But does anyone do them new?

The ones I like have a dropped front edge, like this but maybe white - I don't want anything posh or fancy, but in practical terms I love this sort of style for its sheer size. (have seen them longer than the one in the link)

Also not sure if our upstairs floor is likely to hold a cast iron bath? It's Victorian and I don't know if it is strong enough but I hope that wouldn't be a problem.

Just if I could source a newer version that was steel it would be easier to get it up the stairs smile

Any help appreciated, have been googling for a few days now and not turning up much.

MummytoMog Thu 20-Feb-14 22:26:12

Ooh that's clever. I'm afraid my six footer is victorian, and we did have to reinforce our joists to put it in, although we were building the bathroom so not as bad as all that.

Some nice big baths here, but nothing with a drop side. I would worry about splashing more in a low sided bath though tbh.

www.betterbathrooms.com/baths/luxury-baths/

PoorOldCat Fri 21-Feb-14 08:44:14

Thankyou...reinforcing joists? ! shock Oh dear.

Perhaps I need to give up on the idea...but thankyou for the link, I am loving those prices smile

MummytoMog Fri 21-Feb-14 11:51:51

Only because our bath is cast iron!! It takes three strong men to pick it up or me and my mate with something to prove You wouldn't need to reinforce for a steel or acrylic bath.

audrey01 Fri 21-Feb-14 15:59:32

We went for a steel bath like www.qssupplies.co.uk/bathroom-furniture-shower-taps/18666.htm. It's one of the largest baths I could find and this applies not only to the external dimensions, but internal too.

audrey01 Fri 21-Feb-14 16:01:16

Sorry, am on the phone.
Like this. The model is Bette Ocean.

OldBeanbagz Fri 21-Feb-14 16:06:52

How about this double ended one?

How old are your DC? Are they nearing the age when they won't want to bath together? In which case a big bath would take AGES to fill for just one child (unless you have fantastic water pressure).

Ifyoubuildit Fri 21-Feb-14 16:09:56

We've got big new bath, it's a Bette

peggyundercrackers Fri 21-Feb-14 16:20:15

we got our bathroom suite from heritage bathrooms www.heritagebathrooms.com/BathroomSuites our bath was 1800 long.

ineedsomeinspiration Fri 21-Feb-14 18:48:07

We have one like this www.pricehoover.com/shower_baths/Foxglove-Square-Shower-Bath-Suite.asp not sure if it's similar to what you like as the link you posted has expired. It's very spacious at the end.

really1234 Fri 21-Feb-14 18:50:20

Ask for planing supplies catalogues from your local plumbers, they should have a good range in there.

I would second checking out your joists as we have double joists under our large bath, and these were required by building regs when we built the extension.

really1234 Fri 21-Feb-14 18:50:35

Plumbing supplies obviously not planning supplies!!

longingforsomesleep Sat 22-Feb-14 01:32:47

We have a longish bath and I wish we didn't as it's not great for relaxing in. I'm 5' 11" and if I go for a soak, when I lean back I can just touch the other end with my toes. If I don't keep my legs fully stretched and my toes pointed then I start sliding under the water!

It was great when the kids were little though and all 3 could bathe at the same time!

PoorOldCat Sat 22-Feb-14 08:20:29

Great points about the slipping under thing, and taking ages to fill.

Thankyou...I think I'll ask in the bathroom place and see what they say especially about the weight.

I don't know what the floor is like and it's an upstairs flat so will need to work out how to establish how strong it is.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now