Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

When buying and selling, do people use the same solicitor or two local ones?

(13 Posts)
beaglesaresweet Thu 20-Feb-14 13:25:07

never done selling and buying in the same time before, so not sure what's the usual practice. Especially if moving to a different area?

everlong Thu 20-Feb-14 13:31:42

Yes you can use one solicitor to buy and sell.

ComtesseDeSpair Thu 20-Feb-14 13:32:43

It's not legal for the same solicitor to act for both buyer and seller, though you can use two different solicitors within the same firm if they agree it's not a conflict of interests. When I sold my old flat to a family member we approached the same firm of solicitors but were told we each had to be represented by a different office and team.

Your solicitor/conveyencer doesn't have to be local to the property you're buying/selling - wherever in the UK I've bought or sold I've always used the same London-based firm I used to buy my first flat because I liked them and thought they were efficient. Some people think a local solicitor will have better local knowledge which I suppose is true although in most straightforward transactions it's unlikely to be necessary.

everlong Thu 20-Feb-14 13:41:20

Ah I thought the OP meant the buying and selling of her property?

beaglesaresweet Thu 20-Feb-14 13:48:48

yes, everlong, I did mean for me to buy and to sell (at the same time), not to use the other party's solicitor! would be a clash of interest on some issues if that was done.
Re local - I think they charge less, that's what I was hoping for. everlong, do you know if the fees would be slightly lower if the same one was doing both buying and selling?

everlong Thu 20-Feb-14 13:54:20

I've always used the same solicitor when selling and buying ( I thought everyone did ) it just makes things easier, but then I've always stayed local so I can understand where you're coming from.

You could always ring around and ask for quotes?

BackforGood Thu 20-Feb-14 13:59:04

Like everlong, I assumed everyone used the same solicitor for both parts of the move.

beaglesaresweet Thu 20-Feb-14 14:03:57

thanks! do you get a better deal this way regarding fees, or no difference?

mysteryfairy Thu 20-Feb-14 20:48:41

Separate fees for buying and selling - no discount in my experience. If you are selling and buying with proceeds both comp,eating on same day I think it would be extremely difficult to use 2 different solicitors

BrownSauceSandwich Thu 20-Feb-14 21:16:51

Definitely one solicitor... One fewer communication to break down!

beaglesaresweet Thu 20-Feb-14 21:36:05

hmm, good point, mystery - haven't thought of completing same day and possible hitches being double the risk. As far as non-local solicitor for the new property wouldn't take too long with searches etc (meaning the locals know of the usual poss issues).

beaglesaresweet Thu 20-Feb-14 21:37:01

true, Brown, similar to what mystery said.

atomicyoghurt Thu 20-Feb-14 21:44:47

Go for one that does no sale no fee and uses email and allows you to check progress online.

Ask your mortgage company for recommendations then send of emails for quotes.

They don't need to be local to you at all, it's all done over the phone or online. I moved from Surrey to Norfolk and used a solicitor in Oxfordshire for both sale and purchase.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now