Talk

Advanced search

uPVC replacement sash windows - into existing frame?

(6 Posts)
iloverhubarbcrumble Wed 19-Feb-14 18:09:58

I am befuddled. Victorian house with original wooden sashes, now want to double glaze - heat loss, noisy neighbours. Three quotes to replace. Two adamant that you can't use the existing window frames for uPVC sash windows (tho you can with cheaper casement alternative). Other says no problem using existing frame if in reasonable condition.

Anyone know whose right? It makes a big difference to the quote. Thanks for any clarity, going round in circles at moment..

AngieM2 Wed 19-Feb-14 22:30:22

We have recently looked at replacement stuff for our sashes...I'm saying no chance to putting PVC in the existing boxes....in fact, to replace your current sashes the double glazing wouldn't meet building regs as the glazing is too narrow (not sure that makes sense).

OhOneOhTwoOhThree Wed 19-Feb-14 22:33:59

We had ours replaced last year, including the frames. I didn't know you could use the existing ones.

elportodelgato Wed 19-Feb-14 22:38:24

Don't replace! Original sash is like gold. We had ours renovated and sealed with insulation - amazing. Cheaper than replacement & really warm and cosy now.

Genuinely, original sash windows are so so lovely, don't lose them

OhOneOhTwoOhThree Wed 19-Feb-14 23:00:16

Our original sashes were more like tissue paper than gold grin. When we moved in last January it was colder inside the house than out. It has made a massive difference to noise levels, warmth/comfort and fuel bills. It was expensive, but worth it.

iloverhubarbcrumble Thu 20-Feb-14 19:50:48

Great, thanks so much for the feedback. Looks like we should replace frames. That makes sense to me.

Elporto, we need to replace, the wood is in v poor condition (and noise from neighbours terrible!). I may just get a quote tho out of interest. Can't believe would be cheaper!

Who's not whose..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now