Talk

Advanced search

Blocked drains?

(8 Posts)
krazipan Wed 19-Feb-14 13:46:01

I have had a problem with water from my down pipe coming back into the house via the cellar ( house 160 years old and full of tiny holes and crevices). I have cleaned out the drain as far as I can physically can but it continues to fill back up with water despite no apparent blockage. Help?! confused

krazipan Wed 19-Feb-14 14:41:01

I lifted the manhole cover and it's full to the brim confused

OnePlanOnHouzz Wed 19-Feb-14 16:34:30

Are you on mains drainage ? Or tank or pit ?! Could be due to raised water table with all the crappy weather if you haven't found a blockage ?!?!

krazipan Wed 19-Feb-14 16:51:07

Mains drainage. Im not far from the river and canal. Could that cause it?

OnePlanOnHouzz Wed 19-Feb-14 17:04:52

it's hard to say - it's more likely if you had off grid sewerage as they can get over logged with rain and high water tables - especially the self emptying kind ?!? might be worth trying to get someone over to have a look ?!

krazipan Wed 19-Feb-14 18:15:09

Thanks Oneplan. I've tried to fix it myself but have just ended up dirty and smelling of drains so I'm going to have to get the professionals in.

krazipan Wed 19-Feb-14 21:13:16

It was a brick!!! A brick was blocking my drain and backing the foul stinking water back into my house!

OnePlanOnHouzz Thu 20-Feb-14 16:14:35

Amazing !! Wonder where that came from !!! Glad it's sorted now !!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now