Talk

Advanced search

Which Ikea kitchen plan do you prefer?

(28 Posts)
Mrsladybirdface Tue 18-Feb-14 18:54:18

We all like these threads...

New Ikea kitchen range.

1st version we get lots of work surface and a swirly corner unit
2nd version we get an eye level ovens and more pull our storage but less work surface (the sink is in the same place as version 1 but Ikea planner won't let me put it in the unit)

What I would add is this is a walk through kitchen (bungalow) so the bedroom and bathrooms are through that door.

Also ignore all the handles smile

version 1
version2

TIA

mrsminiverscharlady Tue 18-Feb-14 18:59:33

I prefer version 2. I really don't like bending down to ovens.

orangepudding Tue 18-Feb-14 19:03:29

I would pick the one with the eye level oven. Less work surface but more practical.

Quinteszilla Tue 18-Feb-14 19:04:32

BetterWithCheese Tue 18-Feb-14 19:19:52

I like 2 better as well.

JillJ72 Tue 18-Feb-14 19:26:37

#2, and lucky you!

MrsLettuce Tue 18-Feb-14 19:37:54

yy, I agree, definitely #2.

THe more practical configuration and it looks better.

The double door wall cupboard on the far wall bothers me in both versions. THe the horizontal lines in oven and vertical lines in the cupboards under the worktop clash with both the horizontal and vertical lines in the wall cupboard. It just looks off, IYSWIM. Are there other cupboard options you could use in that position? It looks like the window comes right into the corner of the room - always a PITA in a kitchen.

TheGreatHunt Tue 18-Feb-14 19:50:19

Version 2 but ditch the wall cupboard to the right or bring it down to the worktop level and make it the same width as the base cabinet below. Or ditch altogether.

Mrsladybirdface Tue 18-Feb-14 19:56:50

You are all on DHs side!

MrsLettuce thank you for pointing that out its brought me out in a cold sweat.

I had looked to bring it down to the worktop level, but would it give me enough space to put my hot baking trays down?

Will have a play and load up new version.

Thank you!

TheGreatHunt Tue 18-Feb-14 20:00:39

That's true - ignore that. I'd have worktop level if you had a fridge there otherwise no cupboard if oven. My only worry would be whether it would be dangerous having the oven so close to the door?

MrsLettuce Tue 18-Feb-14 20:03:40

Baking trays can easily be popped on the long work top by the serving hatch.

Was wanting to suggest a second full height cupboard but though that wasn't an option with the window. Open shelving would work too.

Mrsladybirdface Tue 18-Feb-14 20:19:33

The safety reason was why I preferred version 1, but the door opens out of the room (and is always open) and we are going to get a Neff slide n hide so hope that would make it safer.

I've changed the cupboard to a 60cm one but it looked a bit cheap so I've added a 20cm cupboard which looks better to me.

version3

MrsLettuce Tue 18-Feb-14 22:35:48

That is better but, erm, something confused

What's going on at the end of the kitchen we're looking from?

Mrsladybirdface Tue 18-Feb-14 22:43:42

Ha, I guess you mean the fridge with cupboard on the top? ignore that bit, the fridge will go there but it will properly housed, it's too tricky on the Ikea website!

youarewinning Tue 18-Feb-14 22:46:41

I'm going against the grain and saying version 1. I don't really like the ovens right in front when you walk in.

MorelloKiss Tue 18-Feb-14 22:50:03

Is that a hob (near the fridge in version 3)?

Also is there a dishwasher?

Just trying to look at likely movements round the space. And which areas might get cluttered and which be used for working.

MorelloKiss Tue 18-Feb-14 22:52:20

Oh and, perhaps also what MrsLettuce meant, what happens where the 'camera' is . Is it a wall or open plan onto a dining area or something else?

Mrsladybirdface Tue 18-Feb-14 22:56:52

Yes, that's a hob and the dishwasher is next to the ovens. I won't have a kettle, micowave or toaster so the work surfaces should remain clear.

Mrsladybirdface Tue 18-Feb-14 22:59:55

oh right, yes it's an opening into hallway, I'll take a pic tomorrow and load it on, so you can see the horrific kitchen I have at the moment!

MrsLettuce Wed 19-Feb-14 01:03:16

I think, if it were my kitchen I would hope and pray that something like this would fit:

Far wall -
hob in the middle of the run of units
oven under
slim unit under, to the left
slim side of swirly corner unit to the right
naice extractor above

right wall -
wall cupboards to ceiling height right through to
tall unit with microwave
tall unit with fridge
(I'd always go for a double sink over a single, even if it mean both being small)

Left wall -
run cupbords and drawers
(I really do love drawers)
would also be interested to look at options to island-ify a bit on the left wall

OnePlanOnHouzz Wed 19-Feb-14 08:39:30

Wow ! You have been having fun ! Could you add a plan view too ? If you are more inclined to be going with version three - could I suggest you maybe change the oven housing and wall units to a 140cm high oven housing and open shelving on that wall, so the natural light isn't obstructed and anyone walking in through the bedroom doors has more eye level space - will make the space feel even larger !
What's the distance from the front corner of the run with the flowers on to the front corner of the oven housing ? You don't really want it any narrower than 82cm - or it will be too restrictive to use the door efficiently . ( nb glad you have thought of the safety issue - having a lower height tall housing will also help this as it's easier to see people coming through the door - so you can shout 'hot door open' if you are at the oven !)
Also what is the distance from the sink to the hob ?!

WalkingThePlank Wed 19-Feb-14 09:35:09

I prefer to have the ovens under the hob. Then you have a cooking zone.

KhloeKardashian Wed 19-Feb-14 10:40:51

I prefer option 2. There is nothing illegal about having your oven on the end of run like that.

Mrsladybirdface Wed 19-Feb-14 14:54:23

Thanks all for the feedback.

Mrs Lettuce, I had played around with putting the hob there, will play around again this evening. It's smaller than it looks in the picture though, the row of cupboards on the left are only 37cms deep. Have changed the cupboards on the right so all the drawers match. We have two sinks at the moment and I hate it...two sinks to clean!

One Plan, here is the floorplan and there is nearly 90cms between the worktops so should be OK. I've put in the lower unit (for some reason there isn't the oven/microwave in 140cms but I know they sell it). I agree about the light, it's trying to get the right balance between storage and light that I'm finding tricky!

Oh and it's only 40cms between sink and hob, which I think is the massive compromise with this version of kitchen.

floorplan

version 4

Mrsladybirdface Wed 19-Feb-14 14:56:51

floorplan better version

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now